Corsair Community

what rams now

tbotim

My system specs are listed above (this a new build)

I can not boot with 2 stiks of ram on the A8V deluxe. One stik is fine . I have booted with each stik individually.

(Is the VS2GBKIT400C3 valueram a matched pair for dual operation?)

I have the 1017 bios, and I have reset the cmos.

BIOS is pretty much in auto mode.

I know which ram slots to use (according to the manual).

Memtest results for 1 stik after 11 hours:

no errors

200 mhz(ddr400)/ cas: 3-3-3-8/ single chanell (64 bits)

I'm running memtest at the moment on the other stik of valueram. After 90 min no errors.

Any new info on the 2 stik problem? I would think you should be able to just plug in the ram and go. Maybe a different Mobo is the cure?

BTW:

I also get a problem when, If I disable the usb in the bios. a message comes up: "USB over current status detected"

and the computer shuts down and I have to clear the cmos to boot agin.

Also, I can't seem to access a floppy (that might be the floppy's fault though as it's pretty old).

Also, would you know of an app like memtest to test a power supply?

And the Mobo for that matter.

Thanks Mr. RamGuy..

Tim

• Corsair Employees

You would need to use an O-Scope to test the PSU.

And the problem you have reported would suggest the CPU or MB is failing, if both modules will run and pass http://www.memtest.org one up but the system will not post, when installed in D/C; I would try and test the CPU and memory in another system to be sure.

Thanks for the response RamGuy.

How confident are you in that assessment:)))))

(that's a big one). The only other computer I have to check the cpu and ram is an old ABIT BE6II board? Would that work?

I also noticed a thread on this site where a guy had an ASPIRE X-Navigator with 500 watt suppy (which is what I have) that was having all kinds of problems. He put in a new Antec 550w supply and all his problems went away.

Any chance of the PSU being my problem??

Thanks

Tim

• Corsair Employees

Any chance of the PSU being my problem??

A: Yes about 60-80% chance it's the PSU!

How confident are you in that assessment:)))))

A: I would test the PSU first and if thats not it then test the CPU in another system. And BE6 will not support these modules or this CPU.

it sounds like you are ruling out the ram.

Is that correct?

Also, my house was built in 1965 and still has the same electrical.

Anything there?? (I just noticed that on the AMD site)

Thanks

Tim

Ok I tried a different PSU (300 watts from a Gateway).

And at the same time, tried the 2 sticks of 512 ram from the Gateway).

And It still won't post with 2 sticks.(works with 1).

BTW: someone mentioned that my board needs Ram with chips on only one side. My corsairs have chips on both sides. The Gateway sticks have chips on only one side. But, as I said neither will post with 2 sticks. I'm so confused.....

I didn't clear CMOS for any of this. Would that be a possible snafu?

So, I guess I have to try the CPU swap. gag.

Do I have to use something like Antec Silver compound for this? Never took OUT a CPU before.

Thanks

Tim

Boy do I feel like a complete putz. A quick bios flash and a few modifications in the bios settings and all was fixed. Running fine now, thank you both for the help. I've had problems like this with asus motherboards before, and if I hadn't gotten this one as a gift, I wouldn't have bought another probably. It seems my gut response now is panic first, think it through logically later when it comes to Asus. Much obliged for the help, I'll try not to be *quite* so helpless if I need any more advice. :)

Ok, so what did you do exactly please. I have the same '2 stiks won't post' problem. I have bios 1017 which came installed on the board. Does reflashing the bios ever do anything ?

Hope you're still around. You are the first person I've seen post that they fixed this problem and you just run away. Come on please details, specifics. Come BACK......

PLEASE.

Tim

Archived