Corsair Community

Ram or motherboard problem?

I just built a system with an Intel D975XBX board with a Pentium D 950. I’m using a matching pair of Corsair CM2X1024-5400C4 XMS5402v4.3 4.4.4.12

I ran Memtest86+ for 1.0 hour prior to O/S load, no errors

The initial load of WinXP SP 0 was uneventful. As soon as I had a desktop, I flashed the system to the latest Intel BIOS, rev. BX97510J.86A.1073.EB and the trouble started.

WinXP gave a BSOD on load. the STOP error is 0x0000007E on pci.sys

I wiped the hdd and tried a reload, but now the Windows Setup gives the same error as the initial drivers are loaded! I wondered about the memory, since I noticed in the BIOS that Intel was assigning 5.5.5.15 instead of the 4.4.4.12 published by Corsair for the CM2X1024-5400C4 .

I ran a second Memtest86+ and saw this after a few minutes:

Test 3 Failing Address 00000100020 Good efefefef Bad efefef6f Err-Bits 00000080 Count 2

I reflashed the BIOS using the same {ONLY available} BIOS on the Intel website. Set board to F9 defaults. D975XBX BIOS claims that the Corsair auto memory config is <533 MHz> 4.4.4.13 - UNTIL SAVE & REBOOT at which time the BIOS sez auto memory config <667> 5.5.5.15

Anyway, I ran Memtest86+ overnight this time, w/o any errors. Windows still won’t load. Removed all cards inc my PCI-e eVGA card and am using a legacy MGA PCI card.

Tried each stick in single channel mode.

No dice!

Question:

Given I had one {but one} error in Memtest86+, is this a memory error or a freaky mainboard?

• Corsair Employees

Please load setup defaults and then set the memory voltage to 2.1 Volts, and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XM2S5400C4 Cass 4-4-4-12 and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

P.S. That errors would suggest a driver problem, but lets test the modules to be sure.

Please load setup defaults and then set the memory voltage to 2.1 Volts, and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XM2S5400C4 Cass 4-4-4-12 and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

P.S. That errors would suggest a driver problem, but lets test the modules to be sure.

RAM GUY;

Thanks for the very detailed post. I followed the timings instructions and used memtest 86+ for 8 hours on the system with both chips installed.

No errors.

Question:

Since I encountered no errors, can I assume that the memory is good, or do I still have to test both one at a time?

BTW: The WinXP load problem was some weird prob with the WinXP SP-0 drivers. After I found that Win2000 would load ok, I got myself a WinXP w/ SP2 install CD and the system loaded up quickly and error free.

• Corsair Employees

Really like your signature! :D:

More than likely the memory is fine and if the system is stable now I would not worry about it. Please let me know if you have any more questions, but from your description of the problem, I would suspect a bios or driver problem. Which sounds like you have it resolved.

Archived