Corsair Community

Bad memory

Chollie

I moved the memory to a new board, trying to dual sync with 2 256 XMS 3200, with an older 512 XMS 3200. The 512MB slot was put into a slot previously used by the 256 MB slot (slot 3). But it never booted, it did make a bad smell within a few seconds. Booted down, and checked everything, all seemed OK, was in slot etc, but one pin has burnt for sure. Now it just wont do anything, and Im scared leaving it too long incase the mobo follows.

Any assistance be appreciated. :sigh!:

• Corsair Employees

I dont understand, you stated before you have 256 Meg modules, and I asked you for the part# and revision of ALL OF YOUR MODULES.

I moved the memory to a new board, trying to dual sync with 2 256 XMS 3200, with an older 512 XMS 3200. The 512MB slot was put into a slot previously used by the 256 MB slot (slot 3). But it never booted, it did make a bad smell within a few seconds. Booted down, and checked everything, all seemed OK, was in slot etc, but one pin has burnt for sure. Now it just wont do anything, and Im scared leaving it too long incase the mobo follows.

So what exactly are you asking us? Or have you tried to test that modules by it self with http://www.memtest.org?

Sorry, didnt notice the 'all'. The module that doesnt work wont boot, so I dont know how I would test in any otherway. As said, I added 512 module to the 2x256 modules that were originally there. Ive not seen the 512 boot since.

Details for 2 x 256 are:

CMX256A-3200LLPT

XMS3205 v1.1

xms3200 256MB 400 MHZ 2226-T1

All details on both are exactly same, and I believe I did buy this as a matched pair.

Hope that helps, sorry for any confusion.

Archived