Corsair Community

Faulty stick of ram.

LeeW

Bought 2x VS1GB400C3 and over the last 5 months my pc was getting more unstable as time went on. Originally thought it might have been my GFX card dieing on me, so replaced both that and the mobo and found that I couldn't install winXP as I was getting random BSOD's during it.

Took one stick out and put it in a ESD bag then tried again and the pc has worked perfectly fine since. I did manage to memtest once with both sticks in recently and got a error straight way before the dreaded BSOD appeared.

Tried setting the timings from auto to what is specified as well for the ram, did nothing.

Is this one stick dead then if so can I RMA it.

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then leave the the timings set to "BY SPD" or Auto and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Okay I have tried what you posted above but upon putting in the suspected faulty RAM stick and then trying to run memtest produces the error in the attachment. This is with me changing to what you specify in your post and also leaving them set to default.

The other stick runs perfectly in both memtest and on pretty demanding games I have.

Will follow up from the link you gave me.

Thanks Lee.

EDIT. This was a matched set of RAM and on the RMA request forum it mentions that you must send both sticks in. If I do that I can't use the PC untill I get replacements.

Can I just send the faulty one instead?

1066323383_errorforram.jpg.c64965fb10f37c82e445718372196a88.jpg

• Corsair Employees
"This was a matched set of RAM and on the RMA request forum it mentions that you must send both sticks in. If I do that I can't use the PC untill I get replacements."

Yes you should submit the RMA request for 1-VS2GBKit400C3 and send both modules.

Hi once more, I sent the ram back with the RMA code but still no reply if they have recieved it or it's been replaced. Is there a way to get in contact with the people that deal with RMA's ?

Thanks Lee Watson.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally recieved my RMA replacement ram and find theres not a single difference, one stick works fine, both in and pc wont boot at all (error beeps of faulty ram). Try the other stick and got BSOD's when launching a game.

This can not be replacement ram as stated in the paperwork but instead the ones I have sent away in the first place, just put in new packaging. No way that I would have the same problems as before and not with my mobo either when I have been using 2 other sticks of ram from a older pc that will work in any of the slots I choose to use within the stated manual use.

I have ran memtest and get this error as soon as it starts not to mention that it finds more when clicking on "okay" (see attachment).

Do I fill in another RMA form ?

Lee Watson.

1075334481_Memtesterror..jpg.09b15da0bef1865f5d58811de65e477d.jpg

Burnt the latest memtest (memtest86+-1.65.iso) to a CD ran it from bootup and did 3 passes of the ram stick I know that works, turned the pc off and replaced the good ram with the suspected faulty one and I can't even boot the pc. Beeps of faulty ram come from the pc till I shutdown the pc.

This was with the Legacy USB disabled as well.

Can I send just the faulty stick of ram this time? as I really see no point in sending both back like I did the first time. I also don't want to remove the use of another pc for the time it takes to get replacements.

Both times it was the only one stick at fault and the other was running perfectly fine, after several hours of testing and in general use.

• Corsair Employees
Please call our Tech Support at 1-800-205-7657 when you are in front of your system and we can try and help you solve the problem. Our hours are from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM Pacific Time Monday thru Friday excluding holidays.

Okay I spent many times trying to get through last night to a operator before being passed to one section of your department to the other, then to the RMA person where I was asked to leave a message and they'll be in touch with me.

No calls so I try again tonight and get the same person I spoke to from your tech support (the day before) who said they'll pass me onto someone that can help and once again I am asked to leave a message.

Now I understand that a business gets many calls from people and they are trying to help but the time difference (as I am from the UK) means I can only phone at certain times at night then I can't possibly be awake for the reminder of the times that they are still open for business.

Can I be given a email address of someone that is in charge of whatever department it is I have to go to about this problem and get this sorted.

Thanks Lee Watson.

PS this phone number was free still from over here, won't be best pleased to find that wasn't at all

Archived