Corsair Community

Dual Channel Memory posting as Single

dram56

Just built a new system. Asus P5WD2 Premium MB and used Corsair Dual Channel Value Select 2 GB (2x1 gb modules) DDR 667. When the system posts it reports PC2-5300 2 gb RAM, but "running in Single Channel Mode". Did I do something wrong? This is my first time using dual channel memory.

Thanks,

Dave

I'd check your motherboard manual to be sure the sticks are in the correct slots for dual channel operation of the matched sticks. Dual channel mode is a function of the memory controller and requires matched sticks of ram to be placed in the correct motherboard ram slots to enable dual channel mode; the wrong slots and the controller will default to single channel mode.

Thanks Garvin,

I did have them in the wrong slots. The slots are labled A1, A2, B1, B2. And they are color coded A1 & B1 are yellow and A2 & B2 are black. So, I figured that with dual channel memory you would put (1) stick in A1 and (1) stick in B1. But, when I did this, the M/B would only post 1024mb OK running in Single Channel mode.

So, I switched them and put (1) in A1 and (1) in A2... This got the M/B to post 2048mb OK, but still running in Single Channel Mode. Arrrgh !!!

Then I went to the ASUS website and got the latest BIOS update (0709) for my P5WD2 Premium M/B. Put that on. Then switched the memory back to the way I had it orginally, with (1) stick in A1 and (1) stick in B1 slots... And voila... it now posts 2048mb OK running in Dual Channel Interleaved Mode!

Thanks again for your help.

Dave

Archived