Corsair Community

TWINX2048-3500LLPRO/ASUS A8N32sli DLX Stability?

flemming

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe

AMD 64 x2 4800+

eVGS 6800 GS CO SE PCI Express

2 WD 150GB Raptor drives in RAID 0 config

PC Power 800 Watt power supply

Corsair Twinx2048-3500LLPro 2GB kit (same as advertised on Asus web site)

Windows XP SP2

When I first began to load the OS onto the above system I would get an error message saying that "the file could not be read" for the same files each time. I swapped out CD-Roms, CD rom cables, channels, etc and problem remained.

I removed the Corsair memory and replaced it with my old XXXXXXXXX 1 GB (2-512 MB PC3200 sticks). The OS loaded without a problem.

After the OS was loaded, I tested the Corsair memory in this system. All memory tests passed and never indicated a hard problem.

I left the Corsair memory in the system and started to load my Windows applications. I would occasionally but dramatically have installation failures with error messages that I have never seen before.

I suspect bad memory but I need feedback from others.

This memory is advertised by ASUS "as the perfect match".

I have the standard default settings for memory in the bios. No Over-Clocking. Do I need to modify these settings to use the Corsair memory and if yes, what are the settings?

Thank you

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Processor at 2.4 GHz

FSB - 12X

AI OverClocking Auto - CPU FSB 200MHz

Memory Clock - 200 MHz

CAS - 3 Clk

RAS/CAS- 3 Clk

Min Active RAS - 8 CLK

Row Precharge Time - 3 CLK

RAS/RAS Delay - 2CLK

Row Cycle - 9 CLK

Row Refresh Cycle - 14 CLK

Read Write Delay - 2

Read Preamble - 5.5 ns

Async Latency - 7 ns

All of the many settings that I could list are AUTO. e.g. DDR voltage is Auto which means what voltage??

This condition has existed before I ever ventured into turning off the many "Autos" and entering Manual. It never ceases to amaze me how the number of adjustments grows and the dfinitions for them dwindle.

Thank you very much for your help.

Thank you for your help

Dear Ram Guy

I put down the specs you requested and yet no reply. You mention contacting you at "TSExpress below" in your reply format but frankly I don't know what TSExpress is and I can't find it "below" nor mention of it.

Thank you for your patience but I would like your advice.

H Flemming

• Corsair Employees

First thing you are posting in the wrong section, Moving to Compatibility Questions!

Second thing, please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and you can use the settings listed in this Thread for reference. But if you are not getting errors in memtest I would suspect some other problem. Are you getting a stop error that you can track at http://www.microsoft.com/technet ?

Thank you, Ram Guy

I apologize for choosing the wrong forum. I have checked and I have the most current bios. One of your colleagues in Fremont has recommended that I reduce the DDR to 2.75 volts.

Regardless I will move further issues surrounding this dilema to the Compatibility Section.

And I now realize that TSXpress is a link.

Regards, HF

ASUS Bios Rev - 1103

Processor at 2.4 GHz

FSB - 12X

AI OverClocking Auto - CPU FSB 200MHz

The Memory Settings are in Auto and are shown below

Memory Clock - 200 MHz

CAS - 3 Clk

RAS/CAS- 3 Clk

Min Active RAS - 8 CLK

Row Precharge Time - 3 CLK

RAS/RAS Delay - 2CLK

Row Cycle - 9 CLK

Row Refresh Cycle - 14 CLK

Read Write Delay - 2

Read Preamble - 5.5 ns

Async Latency - 7 ns

DDR Voltage is set to AUTO

This condition existed from initial default settings. I have not modified any settings from default regarding CPU, Memory, or other performance settings. I did enable SATA Raid for NVidia and other basic functions to initialize system for the OS install.

My suspicions about memory were tied to the fact that exactly the same files failed during the many install attempts. I noted that the rejected files were particularly large.

I even received a "Blue Screen" on one attempt but at that point I was "ignoring" the file and hitting ESCAPE attempting to move on through the install.

The pair of HyperX KHX3700K2/1G (512 Meg each stick) was then inserted and the OS installed smoothly.

Thank you very much for your help.

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to set the CPU Frequency and disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test. Do not change any bios setting not listed for the memory settings.

You are the first person I see using the 150gb Raptors with this MOBO. Since you are having OS install problems, I wonder if there is some issue with your HD vs the controller on the MOBO? Do you have an older HD around that you could try a test install with?

Mike.

Archived