Corsair Community

3GB: Does twinx2048-3200C2 play w/ twinx1024-3200C2 ?

bbogart

I have an asus a8v with the original 1GB ram in the form of a twinx1024-3200C2 pair. installed in the blue slots (first channel?)

I bought a second pair of matched twinx2048-3200C2 hoping I could get up to 3GB.

When I install the twinx2048-3200C2 in the blue slots all is well, I see 2GB in BIOS, if I install the twinx1024-3200C2 pair in the second set of slots the BIOS says I have 1GB total, not the 3GB I expect.

The type and timing is the same for these modules, only the size is different, so why can't I see to put 2GB twinx2048-3200C2 on the first channel and 1GB twinx1024-3200C2 on the second?

thanks.

The original (twinx1024-3200c2) RAM is "XMS3202v1.5" (0522078-1)

The new (twinx2048-3200c2) RAM is "XMS3202v1.2" (0616127-2)

So I guess that means incompatible.

Does this mean my new ram (bought 8 months after the "original" ram, is actually older? (smaller version number)?

If the "version" number is so important why the heck is it not on the part#, how does the seller know what version of package has in it?

Do I have grounds to exchange it for a set that will work with my original 1GB? What specifically do I need to ask for since twinX2048-3200C2 is not specific enough?

Would flashing my bios to a newer version help?

Thanks for the responce.

.b.

TwinX1024-3200C2 XMS3202v1.5 0522078-1 - Made 22nd week of 2005

TwinX2048-3200C2 XMS3202v1.2 0616127-2 - Made 16th week of 2006

Does this mean my new ram (bought 8 months after the "original" ram, is actually older? (smaller version number)?
NO! VERSION #s are NOT indicative of when they were made.

If the "version" number is so important why the heck is it not on the part#, how does the seller know what version of package has in it?
It's a clear package, easy to see the version #. They just don't care though, as they're selling a product w/ certain specs (the part #), and not a particular version.

Do I have grounds to exchange it for a set that will work with my original 1GB? What specifically do I need to ask for since twinX2048-3200C2 is not specific enough?
This has nothing to do with being faulty, hence I doubt an RMA would be approved.

Would flashing my bios to a newer version help?
Nope.

Even if they are the same revision number, the 1GB sticks will have completely different IC chips than the 512MB sticks. You see, at this time all of Corsair's 512MB DDR1 modules are double-sided, and thus use a 32Mx8 configuration. But the 1GB modules, which are also double-sided, require a 64Mx8 configuration. As a result, you would be mixing different IC chips in the same system - not recommended.

Flashing the bios "might" help but, there is no guarantee to get this memory working together. They are made with 2 totally different ICs, most likely very different densities and possibly even different brands of ICs. The revision numbers from the 512mb sticks have no correlation to those on the 1024mb sticks.

For the system you have, the 2 x 1024mb DIMMs would be by far the most efficient and best performing setup. Just curious, why do you want/need 3gb?

Mike.

Thanks for all the responces.

So my options seem to be:

1. See if I can exchange my 1GBx2 for a second 512MBx2 (leaving me 2GB mem total) probably not likely, but its only been 7 days since purchase.

2. Keep the 1GBx2 sell/forget about the 512MBx2

Q: In this case what would I need to get to upgrade the ram in the future? What are the chances it would be available in 2-5yrs when I upgrade next? (I just upgraded the ram in my 5 yo duron 800, I like to keep my machines as long as they are useful.)

3. buy a second ($300CAN) 1GBx2 so to get my ram up to 4GB (sortof as I hear)

Which would fill up the slots, which could be worth doing if I'll have trouble finding the exact ram I need a few years down the road.

I may be able to exchange, since I told the shop I was upgrading my machine, and what ram I already had in it, they did not mention the ram I wanted to buy would not work.

Why do I need 3GB? I'm using this machine for an art installation that captures video frames over many hours, 1GB (minus system resources) only gives me enough ram to hold 18x6 frames, I'd rather be up to 50x6 frames. My initial test ended up using 2.6GB just for the application, so 3GB seemed perfect.

If I had not spent the money on the 512x2 I'd be more inclined now to get two pairs of 1024 that would work together. As spending $600 for a ram upgrade now is out of my budget, and about 40% of the cost of the whole system.

What a pain, I wish I had seen a document somewhere that said, "you can have 256,512,1024,2048 or 4096, but not 3072" (whatever the smallest ddr400 dimms are)

I guess with DDR you have to plan your needs when you get the machine, and when you upgrade, expect to drop the ram you already put in the machine.

Thanks again all.

If it was my machine I'd go with your option #2. And, as far as future upgrades go, you "probably" won't be able to even find or buy a DDR MOBO in 3-5 years time, except at an antique sale.

If you do try to go to 2 matching sets of 2048 kits for the total of 4gb, you may run into OS limitations. What OS are you running. If it's XP, is the 32 bit or 64 bit? And, I am not 100% sure that the VIA chipset in your MOBO likes 4gb.

Mike.

I'm running GNU/Linux (debian) on this machine.

So as long as any new RAM I get from this point says "xms3202v1.2" and is twinX2048-3200C2 I should be fine right?

Well its still easy to find pc133 ram.... but they made a whole lot of that stuff, so I would also think its unlikely I'll be able to find twinX2048-3200C2 if I wait a couple years.

Just to clarify as far as I understand I would get the exact same performance with 4 sticks of 512 C2 as I would with two sticks of 1024 C2 right? The only difference would be it would cost less money to use the 4 sticks, and I would max out the machine's RAM slots...?

Thanks again.

.b.

Just to clarify as far as I understand I would get the exact same performance with 4 sticks of 512 C2 as I would with two sticks of 1024 C2 right? The only difference would be it would cost less money to use the 4 sticks, and I would max out the machine's RAM slots...?Thanks again.

.b.

Actually no, you will lose some performance on that machine with 4 DIMMs vs 2. The command rate will drop to 2T and depending on your CPU core the DDR speed may revert to DDR333. You can in some cases manually set the memory speed back to DDR400. This would most likely not bother your needs too much with Linux but, I'm not certain of that.

Mike .

Why 2 GB though? I'm guessing you won't use 4 GB.

Like I said, the application uses 2.7GB of ram, when the data crosses over into virtual ram the whole thing slows way down. Looks like I'll have to make due with 2GB, 4GB would be more than I need (which could come in handy in the future) 3GB would have been perfect.

Actually no, you will lose some performance on that machine with 4 DIMMs vs 2. The command rate will drop to 2T and depending on your CPU core the DDR speed may revert to DDR333. You can in some cases manually set the memory speed back to DDR400. This would most likely not bother your needs too much with Linux but, I'm not certain of that.

Ok, I need more info on this, There are two DDR channels right, two slots for each channel. If you put a matched pair in the first channel, you should get DDR speed. (at the rate that matches the dimms as long as the mb does not limit it, right?) So why would this change when using a second matched pair of ddr400 in the second channel? (second two slots)?

It makes no sense to me that 2 pairs of matched DDR400 in all 4 slots would go any slower than 400... Are these boards just optimized for only two sticks? 4 sticks is always slower, not matter what speed the ram that is in the second two slots?

I don't see the running speed of the RAM in the bios, where would I find that info?

Thanks again.

.b.

Ok, I need more info on this, There are two DDR channels right, two slots for each channel. If you put a matched pair in the first channel, you should get DDR speed. (at the rate that matches the dimms as long as the mb does not limit it, right?) So why would this change when using a second matched pair of ddr400 in the second channel? (second two slots)?
It's a limitation of the memory controllers in the older CPUs. But, the newer cores will maintain DDR400. What core is your CPU?

Also, the spex on the MOBO say up to 4gb:

http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=478&l1=3&l2=15&l3=68

However, I have not personally read any user feedback indicating if this is a good idea on this MOBO. Don't let me make you paranoid here. It may do just fine but in general, all MOBOs with dual channel memory capabilities run better with 2 DIMMs vs 4.

Mike.

I'm running an AMD64 3200+ in this machine.

So I don't remember getting an answer, would my second twinx2048-3200C2 need the same version numbers as my current pair? (xms3202v1.2)

It's a limitation of the memory controllers in the older CPUs. But, the newer cores will maintain DDR400. What core is your CPU?

I'm running an AMD64 3200+ in this machine.

So I don't remember getting an answer, would my second twinx2048-3200C2 need the same version numbers as my current pair? (xms3202v1.2)

3200+ does not tell me what core the CPU is built on. That will be the deciding factor. There are utilities that can tell you this info but I have no idea if there are any for Linux. You can check here and see if they have CPU-Z for Linux:

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Any time you add memory to a current MOBO and ESPECIALLY a dual channel MOBO, you need to make certain that you exactly match the memory in both speed/type and revision. Any time you mix memory that is not matched you are likely mixing different ICs (hence the different rev #) which is bad or potentially real bad.

Mike.

Woops, I thought I already responded to this, I thought I even remember a responce..

Anyhow I have an AMD64 3200+, I have no idea what core that is, but I'm pretty sure its happy with DDR400. I did not see anything on the AMD site about limitations when using 4 dimms at DDR400.

.b.

Archived