Corsair Community

AV8 + TWO bad modules?

Ellery

For starters my system is an Abit AV8 MB with an AMD "3500+" processor. I've had 2 512 modules (TwinX1024-3200C2PT) in it since the beginning and it's always worked fine.

Recently I ordered another set of TwinX1024-3200C2PT. The memory came and I installed it. The week I installed it I noticed no problems. However, when the weekend rolled around (when I actually got to use my computer) my system was very, very unstable.

I downloaded memtest and found both modules to be bad, so my first thought was that something is "off" with my settings.

I've tried many of the proposed solutions on this board (4 modules so I'm running 2T and only at 333 MHz), but haven't found anything to work yet.

I swapped out my original memory with the new memory (so I *only* had the new memory running in the original slots) and still found errors. Just in case, I then put my original memory in slots 3 and 4 (and nothing in 1/2) and everything ran smoothly.

Individually tested, both of the new modules fail before even a single pass of memtest. I've tried multiple settings with just those two modules in and haven't been able to get it stable. I've also tried multiple settings with all four modules with no progress.

In case anyone asks, I've tried 2-3-3-6 (and 2.5-3-3-6) at 2.8 and 2.7 voltage. Toggled the 2T and clock speed (400/333). I don't have another MB or PC to test these modules in, and everything *my* system tells me points to them being bad, but it seems unlikely that I got shipped two faulty modules.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

• Corsair Employees

You should not mix memory with this platform so let's get them all replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

P.S. After you get the RMA number and before you send the modules you will need to call by phone and ask customer service if they can match both sets for you other wise we may be right back to square one. And this is not a warranty issue, officially we only guarantee one set of modules at the tested settings, and when changing to another set of modules you should re-set the bios and load setup defaults and then set the tested settings to test them properly.

Archived