Corsair Community

A8N-SLI & TWINX2048-4000PT - BOTH pairs bad?

I just built a new system of fairly high end components and my just-arrived TWINX2048-4000PT was the last piece of the puzzle. However, they *both* seem to be bad.

Prior to receiving them, i was using my 1GB matched pair of TWINX1024-3200XL and it ran fine.

The moment I started booting with my TWINX2048-4000PT, I started receiving numerous memory-related errors (0x00000024, 0x0000007E, 0x0000005, 0x000000EA, 0x0000007E, 0x0000008E, 0xc000005...to name just a few.)

I have tried:

• Both sticks together
  • Each stick separately
  • At both DDR 400 (200MHz) and DDR 333 (165MHz)
  • A wide range of setttings, most obviously 3-4-4-8-2T in addition to faster and slower timings

I can just be sitting at the Windows XP desktop and it is only a matter of time until system gets a BSOD.

However, I toss in my TWINX1024-3200XL and everything runs fine, both at settings the TWINX2048-4000PT would try and fail at and the much, much more aggressive timings the memory was rated for (2-2-2-5-1T.)

Are there known issues with this memory line? Or compatability issues with the A8N-SLI Premium? Is it common for both sticks to be bad?

Please help!

My main system components are such:

• Antec Neopower 480
  • AMD Opteron 165
  • ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
  • Creative Audigy 2ZS
  • eVga 7900GT CO
  • Windows XP (Home)

All items have current drivers and I have all available Windows updates.

-Ray

• Corsair Employees

Can you tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

And if you are trying to over clock your system to the tested settings of our XMS4000 modules, your PSU is not enough, you should be using a 550 Watt PSU minimumwith the config you gave.

That's the thing - I do not have any enhanced/overclock settings yet. Obviously, I purchased this memory in hoping to push the 165 quite a bit, but I always load new components at default settings. When I cannot even get 250MHz memory to run at 200MHz (or lower,) I have some serious issues.

I am curious as to how my power sould be suspect? This is *not* a SLI setup - I only have one 7900GT CO. I just have the 165, the memory, an unused floppy drive, one HD, one DVD-R/RW, the 7900GT CO, and a soundcard. Even just looking at the memory, surely my two 512MB sticks of PC3200 at 2.85v use less power than a single stick of the PC4000 at 2.6v (which, again, fails.) The same PSU was used with a A64 3500, an AGP 6800GT, the same soundcard, three ROM drives, and a few more auxillary devices.

The CPU setting is as plain as can be:

• 33MHz PCI
  • 100MHz PCI-E
  • 200MHz FSB
  • 4xHTT (currently - I had 5x when using the PC3200 and the initial PC4000 boot)
  • 9x CPU multiplier (1.8GHz)
  • 1.5v chipset (default)
  • 1.2v HT (default)
  • Auto CPU voltage (default)

Having a currently-barebones system, I only have the two NICs enabled (both with the firewall *dis*abled) and the two IDE controllers. On-board sound, SATA drivers, and additional ports are disabled. With the 3200, I had the PEG Link Mode at Auto, but I have set it to disabled while trying to deal with this 40000.

The memory is, likewise, set low:

• DDR 333 (166MHz - I originally tried the 200MHz of DDR400, but scaled that down upon experiencing issues)
  • CAS#: 3
  • RAS# to CAS#: 4
  • RAS# Precharge: 4
  • Tras: 8
  • Trc: 19
  • DRAM Idle Timer: 16
  • Command Rate: 2T

I did have the memory timings set for Auto at first, but have manually set/slowed them as I have been trying to hunt down the issue. I can run the PC3200 at the above settings and DDR 400 without a problem - same with running the PC3200 at Auto or manually changing the timings to its rated speeds. The killer for me is that I am not even having the memory go above 200MHz - it is running at 80% of its rated speed.

I know the PC3200 sticks were always power hungry and I did try one PC4000 boot at 2.7v to see if that would help with the 2D/Windows instabilities (much less games,) but I got a BSOD about one minute after the desktop had loaded. From that point on, I have left the power at 2.6v.

Thanks!,

Ray

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts and then set the timings manually to XMS3200 Cass 3-3-3-8 and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. As far as your PSU please check with the Video card maker and see that your PSU meets the minimum requirements.

Well, let me follow up in a week or so.

For future SLI utilization and due to there being some incopatabilities/issues between Antec PSUs and the A8N-SLI Premium, I have just ordered and Enermax Liberty 620W.

Along the same lines, I am talking with ASUS about the possibility of doing a RMA on the MB due to the memory issue (nobody is sure why the 3200 sticks work fine - it would make more sense if neither one worked.)

Once I have all that, I will try once again. Do you want 3-3-3-8 or the rated 3-4-4-8? And why does the SPD report 3-4-4-10?

Down that road, what are the "official" timings I should use for Trc, Idle Timer, and Command Rate?

Thanks,

Ray

• Corsair Employees
With these modules the SPD is set to DDR466 at Cass 3-4-4-8, that is what the MB BIOS’s will be able to see. The tested settings would need to be manually set. And if you are not over clocking I would use the settings I gave you before!

Archived