Corsair Community

ASUS P5N32SLI-Deluxe + TwinX-6400PRO

CrazyTurboBeast

I have the ASUS motherboard P5N32SLI-Deluxe, it has never worked correctly for me just like a lot of other people (just look at the ASUS forums).

I think I've tracked the problem down to PSU and possibly RAM.

The RAM I am using just now is OxCxZ Value Select 533MHZ 4-4-4-12, this is after using Corsair DDR TwinX-3200PRO on previous board (excellent btw). The RAM I have is not on ASUS QVL but then again neither is a lot of other RAM that works fine.

Anyway PSU issue aside I can't adjust the clock speed of FSB or memory and even though the board targets 533MHz for memory I only get 133MHz (albeit DDR). With a FSB of 800MHz this is a 3:2 ratio. CPU-Z reports 133MHz and 3:2 ratio and so does Sandra.

To get this rig working I have to use approved components (starting with PSU) and I guess this includes the RAM. After looking through the forum I think I'll go for TwinX2048-6400PRO as it will suit my 800MHz FSB and has decent timings, but above all it is proven to work with this board.

Now I know I'm getting ahead of myself as the PSU is the first thing I should sort and I havent even chosen that yet but what do Corsair mean by working, exactly?

I mean my RAM 'works' with the board i.e it allows windows to boot (as long as the sticks are in the right slots) but its not what i would call functional as cannot adjust clock speeds.

Also do the Xpert series work with this board? i don't see them on the approved list.

Any suggestions for a good PSU would also be appreciated. I was thinking of going for Enermax liberty 620W for the modular cable feature and high current rails.

My system:

Intel P4 3.2GHz 640

ASUS P5N32SLI-Deluxe

OxCxZ DDR2 2x1GB 4-4-4-12 dual channel 533MHz

2xnVidia 6800 Ultra in SLI

1x SATA Raptor 70GB (system)

1x IDE Maxtor 200GB (data)

Antec True Power II 550W PSU

XPERT simply means they have programmable LEDs. The memory is the same (assuming the base part # is the same of course).

Example: TwinX1024-3200XL and TwinXP1024-3200XL

However, AFAIK, there are no DDR2 XPERT modules as of yet.

The motherboard is supposed to support 667 and 533MHz, it has QVL for both these speeds. Although the Corsair memory on the QVL is limited and much less than the approved memory on Corsair website, which brings me to my point. If you're saying I should only buy 667MHz RAM then why does Corsair approve speeds from 533-1066 including 675MHz, which is not a board speed?

I'm not trying to trap you or back you into a corner (I appreciate your help) but common logic says that if 667MHz is what we should use then that means that Corsair approved RAM list is wrong! :eek:

There is so much conflicting info surrounding this motherboard!

Currently I have O C Z, which is not on QVL so I'm not wanting a repeat issue where i don't know if I have compatible RAM or not.

• Corsair Employees

No that's not what I am saying! You can always run at a slower speed, but over clocking is hit and miss. You can use DDR2-667 or DDR2-533 or DDR2-400 with this MB.

not that i rate this type I'm a Corsair fan. Just don't like to be c*ns^red....

This was done because we have had several people coming here for help with non Corsair Memory, because the other makers did not at that time have a user forum. That is the only reason! This section of the forum is Corsair Products Only and there would no reason to talk or discuss other manufacturer’s memory products on our forum.

Archived