Corsair Community

RAM Question In Relation To Motherboard

Koshy

Hia guys this is my first time here but ya'll seem knowledgable...

I have basically figured out all of my system... but then I hit the wall when RAM came into my life =)

I kept thinking I found an answer but then I would be dragged even farther away in the mud and now I'm posting here to ask advice. :confused:

Question #1:

Do I:

A) Go with Intel which supports DDR2

B) Go with AMD which has the FX-57 (Perfect for OC)

The problem here is, if I go with AMD mobo I'm stuck with DDR1 PC 3200 =/

Will there be that BIG a difference between using DDR1 PC 3200 and DDR2 PC 5400 or higher. When you also factor in the processor I could use with the AMD versus the Pentium. Whatever I end up doing I will be going with Corsair for its overclockablity, and I WANT to go with the FX-57 since its sooo good for overclocking, but at the same time if an overclocked FX-57 + Corsair XMS PC 3200 2 x 1 GIG RAM equals much slower or quite a bit slower then a overclocked Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.73 Prescott + Corsair XMS DDR2 PC 8000 + 2 x 1 GIG RAM, shouldn't I go with the Intel solution, you may see my words are starting to get jumbled because I'm just downright confused as to what to do.

Question #2:

People say that the CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 433 PC 3500TWINX2048-3500LLPRO works with the Asus Deluxe SLI 3200 Xpress mobo's, my question then becomes does it also work the same with the Crossfired Boards? I will most definatly be going with Radeon and their Crossfired solution... but then the question becomes does this RAM also work Crossfired?

Then the question becomes if it does:

A) Will the performance gain from the PC 3500 be that much more noticable then the PC 3200, including when overclocked.

2) If it is the case that the PC 3500 does make a noticable impact, and it is true that the Intel system would produce noticably faster speeds, would the PC 3500 for the AMD bring it close enough to the Intel system for you not to really notice the difference?

I really hope what I have written is understadable and some or all of you can help on all or various aspects of my quest to figure out what to do.

Thanks so much,

- Koshy

How can: TWINX2048-4400PRO / DDR-550 (XMS-4400) / 3-4-4-8

Be compatable with a Asus MVP Deluxe 3200 Xpress when it says it only supports DDR 400?

Also my other question still remains, is DDR comparable to DDR2 or does DDR2 simply blow away DDR?

Initial testing shows that the new AMD AM2 DDR2 MOBOs may offer as much as 5-7% performance increase over DDR memory. So, IMO, being "stuck" with DDR1 is not bad. Those new MOBOs will be available in a month or 2 so you might want to wait if you are not willing to buy DDR memory.

The PC3500LL is awesome and should work fine in a Crossfire MOBO. It will be much faster than the PC3200, especially when OCing. If you are a gamer, I would not even consider an Intel system until after the new Conroe CPUs come out.

Mike.

How can: TWINX2048-4400PRO / DDR-550 (XMS-4400) / 3-4-4-8

Be compatable with a Asus MVP Deluxe 3200 Xpress when it says it only supports DDR 400?

Also my other question still remains, is DDR comparable to DDR2 or does DDR2 simply blow away DDR?

No AMD based MOBO "officially" supports over DDR400 yet. You must OC to get it past that but, that's why you like the FX57.

DDR2 is only going to offer a small increase. So, if you have a CPU and DDR1 memory now, there is going to be little reason at all to upgrade immediately. However, if you don't have memory, it "might" be worth waiting for but, it won't be a significant gain over DDR1 for quite some time.

Bottom line, you will do fine with either DDR1 or DDR2. And, most likely you'd need a benchmark utility to ever see the difference. Real world and side by side, you won't be able to tell with normal usage.

Mike.

This is where I get confused though... the MVP 3200 Xpress Deluxe is DDR 400, correct? Then why when I go to the compatable section of Corsair and look up the Mobo is supports up to TWINX2048-4400PRO / DDR-550 (XMS-4400) / 3-4-4-8

Thats DDR 550....

Please help explain this to me if you can... all the shop sites say: Supports up to DDR 400, yet the Corsair Site is saying DDR 550...

:bigeyes: :confused:

Thanks,

- Koshy

They don't "support" it, because the top memory the CPU supports is 400. However, most mobos will let you set them higher anyway, because they know some people want to overclock their PCs, hence higher speed memory.

So... where does this leave me... how can I find out the max you can put up the MVP... if they say 400... but at the same time Corsairs Compatability Site says it will take TWINX2048-4400PRO / DDR-550 (XMS-4400) / 3-4-4-8

-.-

Anyone have suggestions on what I should do?

OCing is always hit and miss so no company is going to guarantee that any MOBO will hit a particular speed above its rated speed. You may want to Google or find some user forums where people are OCing that particular MOBO. By reputation it should OC well but there is no way to know for sure until you get the board and try it.

Mike .

I talked with Asus, and they told me to find out what BIOS Corsair was using when testing with the TWINX2048-4400PRO / DDR-550 (XMS-4400) / 3-4-4-8

If you know the answer I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

- Koshy

Sadly I do not see a Test Report for the DDR 4400 x2 1 gig... =/

If you could link me to that I would greatly appreciate it. As I would love to see what your test showed for it.

Thanks,

- Koshy

It's funny you show me that link I just read that today =)

Looks like the MVP is finally becomming worthy of OC'ing... hopefully with more BIOS updates it will become more and more useful.

- Koshy

Archived