Corsair Community

Asus A8V + Corsair VS - another variant of a not-solved problem...

quioloy

Hi! First of all, I'm new, so thank you in advance for any answer to my posting.

To cut the long story of my problem(s) short: I built two PCs, one with A8V Deluxe, one with A8V, and neither one will work. The Deluxe PC hanged himself with 2 of my VS2GBKIT400C3 modules in A1 and B1 (the blue ones) showing reboot, BSOD, loss of s-ata drives and bios/cmos error reports of all kinds.

To eliminate the possibilty of a defective mobo I built a new PC, this time with the A8V (don't need the promise controller on the deluxe version). So far it seems more stable, but already showed "CMOS checksum errors" twice which I suspect is a compatibilty issue. Since A8V and AMD x2 should be compatible, the only one component to be questionably compatible are the RAM dimms.

To eliminate the possibility of incorrect bios settings, could somebody please tell me what BIOS settings (especially regarding RAM) are the correct ones for this combo (I'd prefer stability over performance, I really do!!)

Asus A8V

AMD 64 X2 4800+

Corsair VS2GBKIT400C3 (2x 1 GB), currently in slots A1 and B1

Thank you so much for reducing my pain. Another three months of testing and replacing components, and I'm nuts...

Alexander

I forgot to mention that I did excessive testing of those corsairs. they passed the memtest.

thx

Alexander

Do you have the latest BIOS?

Yes, I do. Not the beta release BIOS, but the latest (stable) bios.

CAS Latency (tCL): 3

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4

Row Precharge (tRP): 4

Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8

Memory Voltage: 2.7-2.8 Volts

All other settings to defaults.

Thank you very much. I'll try these settings.

btw: Are there any issues with Athlon X2 cpus and memory? I'm asking because so many people have the same mobo (but maybe different cpus), so despite what people say, the A8V can't be the problem, can it?

again, thanks!

Alexander

I did what Wired told me and so far my system is stable.

Thank you all for your help, guys!!

Another question: I ordered another pair of VS2GBKit400C3 in order to upgrade to 4 GB RAM.

How am I to do this? Simply put in the dimms and restart? Or do I have to change something in BIOS before starting the for the first time? Can WIndows handle that, or will I have to setup my system anew?

thx in advance,

Alexander

• Corsair Employees

Same steps as before, but you fill all four slots and I would set the memory voltage to 2.8 Voolts after you load setup defaults.

Please just try the modules in slots A2 and B2 and then go to bios setup and load setup defaults and set the memory voltage to 2.75 Volts and then exit saving changes and test with http://www.memtest.org.

Archived