Corsair Community

1x512 and 1x1gig together?

pressa

Im currently using 1 512 stick of ram. Im looking to buy an additional 1 gig. Can I put it in directly beside my existing 512 for a total of 1.5 gigs?. I heard something about you have to have pairs?

My mb is

Giga-Byte GA-8S661FXM motherboard

2.8ghz p4.

your mobo isn't dual channel. It could possibly work but you would have to make sure the DIMM you get matches your 512 because I doubt that you can fine tune each slot settings.

Worth a shot. But dont be disappointed if it doesnt work.

Ah the days when it didn't matter timmings and settings and you could mix and match as you please. The most you were worried about was the nanoseconds on the chips lol.

Hey thanks for the reply. Ya im a noob and dont know a ton about ram. What is the "DIMM"? My 512of ram is pc3200 ddr400. So I bought this.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1071020&Sku=ULT31664

Ive never understood when people say that have Ram timing 2.5-3-3-7. Does that matter as I saw no mention if it in the product description.

Thanks.

honestly not sure Exactly what it is. I went and did the XXXXXX.com test and it told me Non-parity DDR PC3200. Thats about all I know.

I'm sorry to say this, but you'll have to actually open up your computer case and remove your existing memory stick just to find out what you have. And IMHO most retail-boxed RAM should have a sticker on it telling you the brand and model number.

Archived