Corsair Community

RMA Request. 2 Bad Memory Sticks

Pappa_MT

I have to bad memory sticks I need to request RMA's for.

I have been gettin random freezing with my system.

P4 3GHz Prescott

1GB Corsair XMS3200 CMX512-3200XL 2.2.2.5 (512MBx2 Matched Sets)

Asus P4P800 Deluxe Motherboard

Hitachi SATA 3GB/sec 160GB x2 Raid0

I ran each of these sticks individually through memtest and had many errors on both.

Stick 1: Failed Addresses (4 Errors)

000008117ac

00011c044fc

000006044fc

00001911edc

Stick 2: Failed Addresses (Over 400 Errors)

0001095d984

0001095e060

0001095e090

0001095e090

0001095e0e0

0001095e100

0001095e120

0001095e140

0001095e160

0001095d984

Requesting Help for RMA

I have replaced with another Corsair Memory stick I had, only a single 512MB stick, but freezing problem cleared up. As I mentioned, I tested the previous sticks seperatly & as a set and got many errors both ways.

Please advise.

I would have to pull up my bios to dictate them, however, I run default settings, no overclocking...

I change the boot order to load HD first, and no Floppy at bootup. Otherwise, default.

So memory would be set to auto...

• Corsair Employees

The minimum suggest voltage for these modules would be 2.75 Volts and with this MB I would suggest 2.85 Volts!

Please try these settings after you load setup defaults.

AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%/DDR400

Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts (but if you over clock 2.85 Volts)

Resulting Frequency: 200MHz/400DDR

Legacy USB: Disabled

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

Then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org.

I tried your suggested settings, but was not able to get a complete boot afterwords. I also tried auto and set to turbo, with same results. It boots fine when set to auto/auto or default. (No Overclocking, & Auto memory settings.)

Memetest still reports both sticks as having bad addresses.

I also noticed memtest read the ram as 2.5,2,2,5. When it should read 2,2,2,5. Not sure if this means anything....

Please advise.

I did, what are you talking about. I tried the exact settings you gave me.

My system would not boot I said. It kept giving me a blue screen of death. I changed it back to default and it booted just fine.

I said that im my last post...

• 2 weeks later...

I setup my bios just as you specified, and tested each dimm and resulted in the same errors. ** I tested each stick seperately **

I also put each stick seperately in a compleatly different system and got the exact same errors with memtest.

2nd system specs: P4 3.0GHz,Asus (I think P4P800S), Win XP SP2 w/ All Updates, Newest Nividia Drive on a GeForce 600GT, Hitachi 250GB Sata HD, Was 1024 MB Corsair Memory but tested other 2 bad sticks WITHOUT this 1024MB stick installed.

2nd system bios on default, and I also tested with your suggested specs.

--------------------------------------------------

Basically, both systems reported the same erros, tested individually, and used the memtest from memtest.org as you specified.

Both systems run fine with other sticks of memery. I have nearly 30 systems I maintain, and all have corsair memory. I have had good luck with corsair ram, but will be considering mushkin if getting warrenty takes as long as this seems to. I truely hope this is enough info to get RMA with you. I truely believe both of these memory sticks are bad.

O own and operate my own computer business. I build everything in here, including the systems, servers, and configure all switches & routers. I am the only admin to my place of business. Most people come to me for advice, and I beleive this ram is bad.

So if this is not enough info to get an RMA, please advise as to what else I have to do to prove my case.

Matt Lineberry

DBA The Worx Online

(406)771-8399

http://www.worxonline.com

I just wanted to clarify, the errors I got on my the initial system and the 2nd system were the same exact bad address's reported from memtest.

I did run the 2nd system with default bios and your suggested settigns as well.

Same errors.

Problem goes away after replacing with different memory sticks.

Archived