Corsair Community

Asus A7n8x Deluxe, twinx2048-3200c2, Memtest

bAluKnB

Forgive me. I still don't get all these numbers with RAM. I have this ram installed at 2.5,3,3,6 at 2.7V. Runs stable. Shows as Dual Channel 200 MHz in Post. Everest shows it as 2.5T under Overclock - Chipset, but CL3@200 MHz in Computer - Overclock - SPD. Under Motherboard - SPD it states PC3200 200 MHz. In Memtest, Memory is listed as 2048M 1389MB/s:confused: . That last one doesn't make since, so I tried Memtest in another system (eMachines T6410) and got 1587MB/s:confused: for memory speed. I assume you arrive at DDR rates by doubling these numbers, which would suggest I'm getting PC2700 333 MHz. Please explain the discrepancy. I have Asus A7n8x Deluxe 2.0 1007rev(ABS), Athlon XP 3200+ Barton, twinx2048-3200c2 memory, and the other system, an eMachines T6410, Athlon 64 3200+ (socket 754) has two CMX512-3200C2 (used to be in the Asus) memory modules posting at DDR 400 (Chipset doesn't show in Everest on this system, but I assume it is 3?,3,3,6 or at least I reset it to these in Memtest). Also, I can get to configure in Memtest on the eMachine, but with the Asus it restarts the pc when I press any key. Maybe this is all just an anomaly of Memtest. Anyone? Thanks.

Forgive me. I still don't get all these numbers with RAM. I have this ram installed at 2.5,3,3,6 at 2.7V. Runs stable. Shows as Dual Channel 200 MHz in Post. Everest shows it as 2.5T under Overclock - Chipset, but CL3@200 MHz in Computer - Overclock - SPD. Under Motherboard - SPD it states PC3200 200 MHz.

2.5-3-3-7 @ 2.7-2.9 volts is correct for your setup.

Dual-channel/200MHz from POST says you've installed the modules in the correct DIMM slots and that they're running at PC3200 speeds/DDR400.

The 'Chipset' listing shows the actual/current values that you are running.

The 'SPD' listing shows what is in the SPD chip of the memory modules. All 3200C2 modules are pre-programmed with JEDEC values to maximize compatibility. JEDEC values for DDR400 are 3-3-3-8. These are just values in a data-table and are NOT what the modules have to run, just what they can run and will auto-set if you don't manually do so.

In Memtest, Memory is listed as 2048M 1389MB/s:confused: . That last one doesn't make since, so I tried Memtest in another system (eMachines T6410) and got 1587MB/s:confused: for memory speed. I assume you arrive at DDR rates by doubling these numbers, which would suggest I'm getting PC2700 333 MHz. Please explain the discrepancy.

You're doubling the wrong things here. PC3200 / DDR400 modules run at 200MHz. Since they are double-data-rate, you double the frequency to get the data rate. Hence, 200MHz * 2 = DDR400. Since there are 8-bits per byte, you multiply that by 8 and you get 400 * 8 = PC3200.

The 1389MB/s is a bandwidth measurement. That is, of the theoretical 6.4GB/s of dual-channel PC3200 memory, you're getting 1389MB/s (1.4GB/s). Take this with a grain of salt, however, as the maximum anybody gets on an nForce2 based system rarely gets to 3.1GB/s when buffering is enabled.

For a better comparison of your bandwidth, use the memory read/write and latency benchmarks in Everest. The program also has a nice table to compare against. Remember, however, that those values are THEORETICAL and are NEVER ACTUALLY ACHIEVED. There is always CPU overhead, access latencies, and other things that must be factored in, all reducing your actual performance. I'll add here that on my A7N8X-Deluxe system, with dual-channel DDR400 (2-2-2-5, 1T), I get about 3050MB/s in safe-mode with Everest's benchmark.

For an nForce2 dual-channel setup and a single-channel AMD64 (s754) setup, you look like your settings are fine. Again, use Everest for a better comparison. The bandwidth reported in Memtest is more complicated due to it's not using the CPU's buffering techniques and certain prefetch commands, etc.

I have Asus A7n8x Deluxe 2.0 1007rev(ABS), Athlon XP 3200+ Barton, twinx2048-3200c2 memory, and the other system, an eMachines T6410, Athlon 64 3200+ (socket 754) has two CMX512-3200C2 (used to be in the Asus) memory modules posting at DDR 400 (Chipset doesn't show in Everest on this system, but I assume it is 3?,3,3,6 or at least I reset it to these in Memtest). Also, I can get to configure in Memtest on the eMachine, but with the Asus it restarts the pc when I press any key. Maybe this is all just an anomaly of Memtest. Anyone? Thanks.

Make sure you're using Memtest86+, that your system has adequate cooling, and you can try increasing the DDR Voltage (vDIMM) to 2.8v and see if that helps. If the issue continues, you may have an issue in the way the program is running on your system, Memtest should run automatically without pressing keys, so you can just let it run.

If nothing else in the system is causing errors, I wouldn't bother flashing your BIOS or taking other measures.

PLUR

CK

Thanks. I get about 3025/1145 on the Asus and 2780/1226 on the eMachine in Everest benchmarks (not in safe-mode). Confuses me even more, honestly. Oh, well performance seems fine, so I'm not upset about it. I haven't tried running at 2.5,3,3,7. May try later. Which would be better, anyway? 6 or 7? It's running fine at 6.

Sorry, but I have a question about something else you brought up.

I'll add here that on my A7N8X-Deluxe system, with dual-channel DDR400 (2-2-2-5, 1T), I get about 3050MB/s in safe-mode with Everest's benchmark.

What is 1T, and how do I access those settings? All I see in the Asus bios are the RAS, RCD, RP, and CL settings. Not that I'm trying. I'd just like to know if it ever comes to that. Thanks again.

The appropriate settings are:

CAS (CL) - 2.5

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD) - 3

Row Precharge (tRP) - 3

Active to Cycle (tRAS) - 6 (or 7)

Command Rate - 1T

These settings should all be in the same screen of your ASUS BIOS as well. The 1T refers to the above 'command rate' and if your system is getting 3025, then you are DEFINATELY running at 1T, so don't worry!

PLUR

CK

Archived