Corsair Community

Computer will not post!!!

dmb51599

I have a brand new Asus A8N5X mobo that according to the manual will either run on one single stick of memory in A1 or when all 4 are filled. I can run one one 512 in the single channel mode just fine but when I install all 4 512's (VS1GBKIT400x2) to make it 2gb it beeps when I start and will not even post!! I am not happy!! what is going on???? THANKS!!!

After looking over the manual of your nf4-based board, I think you've misinterpreted what they're actually saying on page 1-13. You can run with either 1 stick in the B1 slot (single-channel mode), two sticks in the A1 and B1 slots(dual-channel mode), or with all four sticks in dual channel mode (two banks of dual channel). To run the four sticks you'll need to change the ddr voltage from auto (2.65volts) to 2.75volts(nothing over 2.9volts-voids warrantee) which is located under the Advanced tab, then Jumper Free Configuration (pg.2-28 and 2-29) in your bios. While in your bios you'll also need to change the Command Rate called "1T/2T Memory Timing" to 2T which is located under Advanced- then CPU Configuration- then DRAM Configuration in your bios (pg. 2-21). After these changes are made, don't forget to Exit and Save changes (pg. 2-41). With any luck, that's all you'll need. If you need to update your bios, here's the link to the bios update support page:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A8N5X

This is actually not true. I cannot run 2 sticks in dual channel. I know the manual says in B1 but that is also not true. Right now I am running this thing with one stick in "A1" and thats the only config I can get it to run in. I dont know why. Probably cause ASUS make crap but thats another story. Anyway I changed the voltage to 2.75 like you said and still nothing. Wont even post.... just beeps at me.

I doubt that it is a bad board due to the fact this is my second one from them. I did have a bad one and had to send it back. They sent me a new one and it has worked since. I know its not the cpu because I had it tested at the local computer store. Im going to pull my hair out. I am wondering if it is a timing issue because my GPU has DDR3 RAM (MSI 6600GT) What do you think?

The DDR3 ram on your vidio card and the DDR ram on the motherboard are two seperate systems so there won't be timing issues. Have you tried each stick in the B1 slot to see if there might be a bad stick that's causing the system to fail POST? The system will fail to boot with all four sticks if one is bad and if by chance you placed a bad stick in the B1 slot with another in the A1 slot it would also fail to post. All of the Asus nf4 based boards with an Amd processor specify the B1 slot for single ram module use (including mine). I know it's kind of a pain in the but, but if it were me, I'd test each stick of ram with Memtest86 for 3 or 4 passes of the eight ram tests to find out for sure if you've got a bad stick. The Ram Guy link for getting the free Memtest86 utility and his instructions:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38146

Also, do you have both the 24-pin EATXPWR connector and the 4-pin ATX 12V1 connector plugged in to the supply (pg. 1-26)? Have you updated your bios (saw some issues that have been addressed in the bios liner notes)?

I have tested each stick and it does test ok, in A1. When I try to start up the computer with just one stick in B1 it wont post. It works fine in A1 though. I have updated the BIOS as well. I have ASUS totally stumped on this issue. All of the ram is good and its a new board. Any other ideas? One thing I though of is maybe Corsair changed the modules that they use on their RAM since the board came out and there is a compatibility issue now?? Yes everything is plugged in as well. Thanks!!!

I bought some P/N/Y memory today and tried it and same thing. I assume its a bad mobo since I have had my cpu tested already. I called ASUS today and they said that they were on a conference call with Corsair and that Corsair said it was an immature BIOS causing this. I am pretty sure ASUS is giving me the run around on this. I am going to call them tomorrow and demand a new board sent to me!! I am not going to RMA this thing again and be without a computer that I need for work for 3 weeks. Thanks for all of your help!!!! Ill hang onto the corsair ram for my new Mobo.

Well I tried the mobo outside of the case and the same result. Beep beep beep beep.. blah blah blah!! So I know it wasnt an issue with the screws or the posts. Did the same thing with a different PSU! Looks like I got a bad board AGAIN!! I called ASUS and they arent going to do a damn thing for me aside from RMA and give me their crappy board again! Thanks for all of your help in this matter!! I appreciate it very much!

Archived