Corsair Community

Nautilus500 and Dell Dimension 4600

Wineaux

I just received a Nautilus500 watercooling system for my birthday, and went to install it on my Dell 4600. Needless to say I did not make the purported 15 min install...

I need a waterblock locking plate that will fit the Intel socket that Dell uses. Dell seems to be using a non-standard, go figure, copper heatsink block that does not fit any of the included locking plates. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am looking forward to taming the jet engine trying to take off from my desk and bringing some peace and quiet back into my office.

That would be the problem, but I have absolutely no clue. It would seem that the screw holes holding it in place are not in a standard size configuration, but I could be wrong in that. Knowing Dell, they probably are non-standard.

Wineaux,

Dell has not followed the basic Intel mounting guidelines for years now. You'll need to figure out how to remove the Dell heat-sink and then align the Nautilus bracket-plate over those holes. If the bracket-plate covers the holes, you should be able to drill new holes into the bracket-plate. Remember to measure twice and drill once per hole. ;) Do not drill any holes into your MOBO. :!:

This is about the only info I get from the Dell site for the 4600.

http://docs.us.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600/sm/techov.htm

http://docs.us.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600/sm/index.htm

Here's how to remove the Dell heat-sink. :biggrin:

http://docs.us.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600/sm/mprcsr.htm

Peace!

Stev

Wineaux

so you have access to a milling machine? or machine shop buddy, if so check to see if there is enough meat to complete the transition. if so map out where IHS on dell sink centre, then measure for the Nautilus500 waterblock from centerpoint, then measure depth to leave a shoulder to house the top WB an have open for the hoses to clear while bottom is flush. if done you have both working for you ;):

No machine shop buddies here, sorry. On the other hand, I got through to someone at Dell who actually knew what he was talking about, so I emailed him a PDF of the installation guide. He returned my email with a solution! Seems that on that mobo, Dell was using a Socket 458. So what I need is a Socket 458 retention bracket and I am golden! :biggrin:

Welp, looks like I'm done unless someone has a Socket 458 retention bracket for the Nautilus 500. It seems Corsair is not supporting this socket at all. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as an affordable water cooling rig that is worth a damn that supports Socket 458, as it looks like it's time to return my Nautilus 500... :[pouts:

Archived