Corsair Community

Bad stick of memory?

yuckfou

I have two sticks of CMX512-3200XLPT installed in a Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra 939 board. I have had this system setup for a little over a year now and have never really had any problems with it other than rebooting. I have been having trouble with the system rebooting randomly over the course of the last few months, especially when going to play games such as Unreal Tournament 2004 or Half Life 2. I will start the game and maybe get to play for a few minutes and then the screen goes blank and then I see the post screen. I have updated the BIOS and checked the settings in the BIOS but haven't had any luck. I decided to re-install windows and got to the point of copying files over when the system crashed (general protection fault). I tried a few times with the same problem so I decided to take a stick of memory out. As soon as I took the second stick out, the install went nice and smooth. I guess what I would like to know is if them problem could be settings, though I am thinking it's just a bad stick of memory. Also, are there any utilities from Corsair I can use to test the memory? How hard is it to get the memory replaced?

Archived