Corsair Community

TWINX1024-3200C2PRO or TWINX1024-3200C2

nickelocene

I currently have Corsari TWINX1024-3200C2PRO on my EPOX EP-9NPA+ULTRA with AMD X2 3800+.

I'm thinking of adding another pair of memories. I know using TWINX1024-3200C2PRO will be no problem. However, I'd just like to know if I could use TWINX1024-3200C2 (not PRO) instead. There is almost $40 difference. Will they work together? In other words, is there any difference in modules between 3200C2PRO and 3200C2, except different heat sinks, and LED indicator?

Thanks a lot.

Welcome to the forums, nickelocene!

Mixing and matching modules into an AMD64 setup is not reccommended and there are no available 4-module sets from any manufacturers because it is much more difficult to run 4 modules than 2.

That aside, the two types of memory are exactly the same. PRO v.s. non-PRO is only a difference in the heat-spreader and the activity-LEDs.

In your system, you may have to:

1) Increase your DDR Voltage to 2.8 or 2.9 (2.9 is max warrantied) volts.

2) Run at a 2T command rate. AMD64's have a memory controller limitation that forces you to run a 2T command rate with more than 4 ranks (2 double sided modules) of memory.

3) Run at DDR333 instead of DDR400, though you may be able to over-ride this automatic setting my manually changing it.

4) Relax the latencies, think 2.5-3-3-7 or so.

PLUR

CK

CK, thanks for the information. I wish I knew this when I built my system last year. Then I would have simply bought a 2G (2x1G) pair.

So, let me ask a stupid question. If using 4 DDRs is that complicated, why Motherboard manufacturers keep giving 4 sockets and claiming to support up to 4G memory, making it sound like a piece of cake? :confused:

Archived