Corsair Community

Need Help "fine tuning" my rig

-Abit AW8 955X P4/Pentium D 1066FSB LGA775 DDR2 ATX Motherboard w/Audio, Gigabit LAN, RAID/Serial ATA II

-Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz

-Corsair 2GB Kit DDR2-533 PC2-4200 x 2kits = 4GB

-IBM Hitachi Deskstar 7K400 400GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer

-Ultra ULT31554 X-Connect 500W ATX Power Supply w/UV Cable Kit (Black)

-NEC ND-3540A 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Bare Drive (Black)

-Mitsumi 7-in-1 USB 2.0 Media Drive (Black)

-ASUS Extreme N6600 Silencer GeForce 6600 PCI Express 256MB DDR Video Card w/TV-Out & DVI

My specs. are listed above and so far, I've tried some OC'ing by myself using uGuru and I'm stable at this setting:

4G Ram @ 5-5-5-15

VCore @ 1.4750

DDRV @ 1.90

MCH1.5V @ 1.50

ExtClk @ 236Mhz

Any other tweaks or settings you guys can suggest to get a better performance

out of my rig? Mahalos in advance

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like you've done a good job so far, you can always try tightening up your latencies if you want, a little more voltage (2.0 volts) may help with that as well.

If you want a higher FSB, try dropping your memory divider and see if you can't push it a little farther, otherwise, you've got a very nice setup there!

PLUR

CK

Looks like you've done a good job so far, you can always try tightening up your latencies if you want, a little more voltage (2.0 volts) may help with that as well.

If you want a higher FSB, try dropping your memory divider and see if you can't push it a little farther, otherwise, you've got a very nice setup there!

PLUR

CK

Mahalos for replying CandyKid:):

What other latency timings can you recommend that will improve my setup?

I also wanna increase my FSB, but I don't know anything about "dividing memory"...

Better latencies would be 4-4-4-12, but these modules may or may not be able to run them... you'd just have to try it, one setting at a time. So 4-5-5-12 would still be an improvement, etc.

Also, the memory divider refers to the speed at which your memory is run at any given FSB frequency.

Thus, currently it's setup to run at PC4300 when the FSB is 800. If you inceased your FSB, the memory frequency would increase accordingly. So, to prevent instability from overclocking the memory (which may very well overclock a little, but again, you just have to try it), you can go into your BIOS and select the next SLOWER speed in the memory settings.

First, however, I'd leave the memory at 5-5-5- and SLOWLY increase the FSB 10MHz at a time. Every time, run Memtest86+ to see if the system is still stable. If so (and if it doesn't get too hot), then do it again. When you find a setting that starts to crop up errors, drop the FSB back down 5MHz or so and test again.

PLUR

CK

Definately a good idea, Pentium D's are HOT HOT HOT!

I'm looking forwards to getting a 35 Watt Conroe, the new dual-core CPU's from Intel. The 35 Watt variations put out less than HALF the heat of a Pentium D.

PLUR

CK

Sounds like something that I may need for my rig also...what kind of chipset does that support? LGA775?

Yes, they're going to be LGA775, but only SOME of the i975 boards will be able to support them, I'm assuming the next chipset out will have full support, so that probably means a new mainboard for all of us.

I beleive they'll also introduce DDR-II 800 (PC6400) as a standard so we may need some new memory as well!

I'm really looking forwards to seeing these chips come out as they're doing AMAZING things in preliminary tests and Intel really stepped up the multimedia/gaming performance. Great chip from all sides!

PLUR

CK

• 1 month later...

Okay...I finally got my Water Cooling Kit installed. My CPU is now running at about 30-36C. This is what I've changed in my BIOS also:

4G Ram @ 5-5-5-15

VCore @ 1.4750

DDRV @ 1.90

MCH1.5V @ 1.50

ExtClk @ 236Mhz

I've noticed that you can get more out of your CPU by also playing around with the multiplier (default is x14) I don't know much about the multiplier for my Motherboard...not sure if it's locked or unlocked. Any advice from this set up? Mahalos in advance.

That's looking really nice, actually. If it meets all of your needs, I don't see any reason to push the system farther than you already have.

PLUR

CK

Mahalos fo da compliment:D: Reason why I got my WCK installed was because my CPU temps were kinda high. Now I'm averaging 38-41C on a full load, I wanna try to OC my rig from 3.29Ghz (already OC'd) to the 4+Ghz class...with your help if it's not too much trouble for you CK:o: I've tried getting help from my MOBO's website, but I'm getting nowhere from there.

I tried looking for answers about MOBOs' "multiplier" settings, but I can't seem to find the answer I was looking for. The answers I was looking for was:

1) My default multiplier setting is @ x14 now. Would it hurt my CPU or even my motherboard if I change it to a higher setting like x16 or even a lower setting like x12?

2) I've heard/read about the MOBO's "ratio" setting somewhere, but can you explain to me briefly about this to me?

When you have the time, please let me know. Mahalos in advance.

Quickie, I'll add more later...

Your CPU's multiplier is locked and you will not be able to change it, the only way to get more is to increase the FSB.

Also, you can increase your CPU's VCore by 0.05 or so as that may let you achieve a higher stable clock than otherwise possible. With water-cooling, this shouldn't be a problem.

The dividers are what set your memory speed. Here's a tip: Go into your BIOS and select the NEXT SLOWEST setting from what you're currently at, then go back and start slowly increasing your FSB until it becomes unstable, etc... as you've already done.

PLUR

CK

Sorry for all the trouble CK:o:

I've been searching for the answer to my questions about my rig setup, and

your forum is the ONLY place that at least replies to

me. You mentioned that my motherboard is "multiplier locked" am I right? When

I installed my water cooling kit, I've checked my BIOS and noticed that I can

select the multiplier values there. Even though I can select a different value,

is my motherboard still locked to it's default value? (*note: I didn't change the

setting yet because I didn't understand it well at that time:sigh!:) When you

say "divider", do you mean the ratio of my motherboard? When I last checked,

it was at 3:4. I haven't checked what values are present in my BIOS setup,

if this is what you're talking about, I can try to check if there is a slower setting

from there. Please let me know when you have the chance.

DoubleVision19

Just some info on your motherboard...

The motherboard shouldn't limit you, it is able to do at least 266fsb. Right now, at 236, you are running your ram at 630ish which is pretty freaking good if you ask me.

Now change the divider to 5:6 so you can start increasing the fsb again. Like CandyKid said, increase the vcore a little bit (0.05v) if you run into stability problems and also the vdimm to 2.0v

What he said! ^^^

The 'divider' is the ratio between your FSB and your memory speed. Since you've got DDR2-533 modules already running MUCH faster than rated you may not be able to make them go much faster.

Thus, select a slower divider so that the FSB can go up some more while the memory drops a notch and isn't so far stressed.

FWIW:

200FSB w/ 3:4 divider = DDR533

236FSB w/ 3:4 divider = DDR630 Let's not split hairs over 0.6666... MHz

236FSB w/ 1:1 divider = DDR472 Obviously slower than the memory can go, but would give you headroom to find just how fast your CPU will go.

236FSB w/ 5:6 divider = DDR566 Probably a more realistic test of overall overclocking.

So, IN THEORY, if you could get the CPU up to a 266MHz FSB, then running 1:1 would yield DDR533 OR using that 5:6 divider you could get more from your memory while still being able to push up the FSB a bit more.

Also, are you SURE you can change the CPU's multiplier? All Intel Processors (except maybe EE's) are LOCKED, thus you cannot change this setting.

PLUR

CK

Just some info on your motherboard...

The motherboard shouldn't limit you, it is able to do at least 266fsb. Right now, at 236, you are running your ram at 630ish which is pretty freaking good if you ask me.

Now change the divider to 5:6 so you can start increasing the fsb again. Like CandyKid said, increase the vcore a little bit (0.05v) if you run into stability problems and also the vdimm to 2.0v

Mahalos ontarian_frog:biggrin:

I'm glad that there are members like you in this forum. I guess when I have

time, will try your suggestion.

What he said! ^^^

The 'divider' is the ratio between your FSB and your memory speed. Since you've got DDR2-533 modules already running MUCH faster than rated you may not be able to make them go much faster.

Thus, select a slower divider so that the FSB can go up some more while the memory drops a notch and isn't so far stressed.

FWIW:

200FSB w/ 3:4 divider = DDR533

236FSB w/ 3:4 divider = DDR630 Let's not split hairs over 0.6666... MHz

236FSB w/ 1:1 divider = DDR472 Obviously slower than the memory can go, but would give you headroom to find just how fast your CPU will go.

236FSB w/ 5:6 divider = DDR566 Probably a more realistic test of overall overclocking.

So, IN THEORY, if you could get the CPU up to a 266MHz FSB, then running 1:1 would yield DDR533 OR using that 5:6 divider you could get more from your memory while still being able to push up the FSB a bit more.

Also, are you SURE you can change the CPU's multiplier? All Intel Processors (except maybe EE's) are LOCKED, thus you cannot change this setting.

PLUR

CK

To CandyKid,

Mahalos for providing me a couple of senarios for me to play with. I appreciate your time and patience you have showed me ever since I've

registered in this forum.

So you and ontario_frog suggest that I use the 5:6 divider setting and start

my FSB @ 236 and slowly increase the FSB every 5MHz?

4G Ram @ 5-5-5-15

VCore @ 1.4750 --> 1.50

DDRV @ 1.90 <-- What about this? Should I increase it to 2.0?

MCH1.5V @ 1.50

ExtClk @ 236Mhz --> increase to 266Mhz?

As for the multiplier on my motherboard, I will have to try to see if I can change it or not.

Do you know if there's a way to find out if it's "really" unlocked or not?

CandyKid had a point.

Put your memory divider to 1:1, and increase in small steps (5mhz) the fsb. You should in theory, with the motherboard be able to hit 266fsb. That doesn't mean your cpu will be able to achieve that.

When you hit a wall (can't raise fsb anymore) raise vcore .05 to 1.5. I don't know the safe vcore for that cpu under watercooling, someone else can suggest something here.

When you think you can't o/c anymore, run Prime95 for at least 8 to 10 hours to see if your system is stable. If it isn't stable, it will either return an error message or will freeze the computer entirely. If that happens, back off a few mhz and try again.

Try that, and get back to us, we might be able to suggest some more things to try after.

Also, unless you have an EE processor or an Engineering sample, you can't change cpu multi.

Mahalos fo da tip! I will try that this evening. I think the safe zone for my VCore is around 1.5-2.0, but that was with air cooling...don't know about water cooling now. All I know it that when I overclock my rig, I'm not supposed to reach temperatures in the 60's. Any suggestions about mutiplier settings? ("IF" and only if my mobo is unlocked) CandyKid posted that my mobo is locked. I can't confirm this from ABIT yet:[pouts:

Wow... that's a bit limited.

Unfortunately, this may mean that your memory will be a limiting factor, but you can push it a little further and see what happens.

Go ahead and set 2.0 volts for the VDimm, but do not exceed that as you're really going to be pushing it.

As for your CPU, 1.55 volts is almost an extreme. If you ran 2.0 volts through your VCore, you'd kill the processor almost certainly. I would not exceed 1.50 volts if I didn't have to (and you don't!).

So, what to do from here? Do what Mr. Frog said: Slowly increase your FSB and see if it remains stable. Honestly, the next best thing for you to do is buy faster memory (I.E. DDR2-800) as that would remove a limitation.

Regardless, give it a whirl.

PLUR

CK

Archived