Corsair Community

TWINX2048-3200C2PT running at only 166MHz

compugeek2005

I have a Giga-byte GA-K8VT800M (rev1.0) Motherboard and when i stuck my new TWINX2048-3200C2PT chips in it they will only run at a speed of 166MHz(ddr333). With only one of the chips in the motherboard it runs at the advertised 200MHz(ddr400). I have tried changing the settings in the bios so that it will run at 200MHz but after i do that my system won't boot properly. I get no video when i boot.

I have a Giga-byte GA-K8VT800M (rev1.0) Motherboard and when i stuck my new TWINX2048-3200C2PT chips in it they will only run at a speed of 166MHz(ddr333). With only one of the chips in the motherboard it runs at the advertised 200MHz(ddr400). I have tried changing the settings in the bios so that it will run at 200MHz but after i do that my system won't boot properly. I get no video when i boot.

That is a limitation of your system's VIA K8T800 chipset. Two double-sided DIMMs will limit your memory speed to 166MHz (DDR333/PC2700) maximum. What's more, if you use two double-sided DIMMs and then add a third stick of RAM, your maximum memory speed will drop even further, to 100MHz (DDR200/PC1600).

I Got some info from Giga-byte's site. They state in their faq that my processor's memory controller has a limit. I have a amd 64 2800+ Clawhammer. I "googled" a little and i found that my processor isn't a revision e6, because those are the only amd cpus's that are socket 754 that will allow you to put two double-sided chips in.

http://www.giga-byte.us/Motherboard/Support/FAQ/FAQ_444.htm

I am currently running the one of the 1gb chips from the twinx pack which will run at 200MHz(ddr400). I was wondering what effect there is if the voltage isn't set at 2.75v. I think its running at only 2.5v currently and boots normally. I didn't change the voltage because my bios doesn't allow me to do so not even when pressing ctrl+F1 to show the advanced options. I just was wondering what effect running at lower voltage will have.

i am currently runing at the timings 2.5-3-3-6. (couldn't get 2-3-3-6 because my system would boot properly.) I ran memtest and there were no errors so is that ok or not? And if i use both of my 1gb chips my system will only run at pc333. Would i get better performance running both 1gb chips at pc333 or just one of the 1gb chips at ddr400. Plus i have my system overclocked so my system is really running at ddr432 with one 1gb chip. So it would be ddr366 with both chips.

OK so I have both chips in runing at 2-3-3-6 at ddr366 and it seem to be pretty stable, I have yet to run a memtest. I noticed a big difference while playing BF2 it runs a lot smoother. I don't see a difference, yet anyways from going to ddr366 from ddr432. Once again thanks a lot!!

Archived