Corsair Community

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe and FX-60, best performance: overclocked 4400PRO or 3500LLPRO?

Health Nut

Corsair memory configurator gave me two high end choices.

I am going to use an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe MB and AMD FX-60 CPU. I haven't seen the ASUS A8N32-SLI deluxe's overclocking capabilities, but I'd like to moderately overclock or have the fastest stable system possible. I'm not sure which choice will yield the fastest stable result given my combination:

The new TWINX2048-4400PRO

takes the lead with its rated 550MHz speed to unleash maximum performance on the AMD platform. Users have the flexibility to run the memory module at highest frequency of PC4400 for maximum system performance or PC4000 at CL3 with 1T command rate.

*OR*

TWINX2048-3500LLPRO

The TWINX2048-3500LLPRO is a 2GByte matched memory pair specifically designed for motherboards using chipsets with dual memory channels. This memory kit consists of two CMX1024-3500LLPRO memory modules that have been tested together on a current production AMD motherboard at DDR437 (218 MHz) and extremely Low Latency of 2-3-2-6 T1.

I would greatly appreciate your help on making this decision!

Thank-you!!!

Looks like you kind of answered your own question.

If you want to overclock the heck out of the system, the 4400's will be your best bet, however, the 3500LLPRO's have shown to be fairly good overclockers as well...

So it's down to this:

If you want the highest possible overclock, get 4400's

If you want a moderate overclock, get 3500's

PLUR

CK

I received this response from tech support, which may have been one of you guys as well:

"TWINX2048-4400PRO will definitely give much better headroom in overclocking. If you are not planning to overclock the system, then I would recommend TWINX2048-3500LLPRO as it does provide better performance at stock speed."

I guess I was looking for a more definitive answer with somebody who has experience with both memory types with the FX-60 and ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe MB combination. I'm sure both will be just fine, but it is always great to speak with someone who knows the specifics. Oh well, I guess I'll just 'play it safe' and get the low latency... but something tells me I could get better, yet still stable performance with the 4400 Pro... just don't feel like I have the time to deal with any problems.

Since I'm sure many of you have experience with the FX-60 and the ASUS A8N32-SLI (popular combo) would you mind telling me what Bios settings you use for maximum stable performance with the 3500LLPRO? I need to just set this up and go....

• Corsair Employees

The only Tech Support from Corsair in this Forum is me "RAM GUY" . You have not stated if you are going to overclock or not making it difficult for others to give you a direct answer. In this case it is better that you choose the 3500LLPRO. The timing would not be different for a FX-60 or a AMD64 3200 .

DDR Voltage: 2.8v

Memory Frequency: 219MHZ

Cas latency: 2

TRCD: 3

TRP: 2

TRAS: 6

TRC: 9

TRFC: 12

Alll others at motherboard default or Auto.

Hi RAM Guy,

"if you are going to overclock or not making it difficult for others to give you a direct answer."

I thought I expressed myself earlier when I said, "I am going to use an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe MB and AMD FX-60 CPU. I haven't seen the ASUS A8N32-SLI deluxe's overclocking capabilities, but I'd like to moderately overclock or have the fastest stable system possible. I'm not sure which choice will yield the fastest stable result given my combination"

I am not familiar (yet) with the Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard's overclocking capabilites, and I do not know the capabilities of the 3500LLPRO vs the TWINX2048-4400PRO. I would think that most people would want to overclock to some degree using either choice... I don't need to push this system to the 99.9% just before it doesn't work. I DO want to overclock to a 'moderate' degree, simply because I see no reason not to gain extra performance. My question would be more like: What can I expect in terms of stability and performance between these two memory choices... Which one can give me the fastest yet most stable result? How much can I overclock the 3500LLPRO vs the TWINX2048-4400PRO? Is there any reason not to get the 4400 Pro? Everyone here seems to be picking the 3500LLPRO with this board... is the 4400 Pro a very new release? Any testing and results with this MB/RAM combo? Anything you can tell me to help me understand in more detail would be appreciated...

Thanks!!!

I found a review you might be interested in, Health Nut.

VR Zone did a direct compairson of overclocking between Corsiar's 3500LLPro and 4400Pro kits, esp. how they overclock vs each other.

You can find the review here: http://www.vr-zone.com/index.php?i=2965

Of course this is just one result from one tester, but it has really helped me to firm up my opinions.

I'm still waiting for info on just what chips are used in the 4400Pro (over at the IC Inquiry Thread).

Also still a little uncertain as to T1 vs T2 setting requirements at various speeds with the 4400Pro ( must T2 be used above 4000? Use of T1 only when set slower than 4000?)

Anyway, I hope this helps a little, and be sure to trust what the mods here say over a test site.

Thank-you for your reply.

I have heard of the hight issue. Sorry, but this JEWLREY bullcrap with LCD's is ridiculous!!! It looks like these memory heights are going to interfere with my Zalman CPU Cooling fan for the FX-60. What the hell is wrong with people that they need to dress up RAM with stupid lights? We have enough problems to deal with. So I guess when this stuff arrives on Tuesday It is not going to fit becasue of the damn LCD on the RAM. How Stupid. Am I going to run into the height of RAM issue and if so, how can I still use the Zalman CPU cooler?

Actually, I think that the PRO modules look very good in my cases, all of which have plexi-glass side windows and BLUE-LEDs for internal lighting.

Some people tune up cars, some people like to fancy-up their computers. I might direct you at MNPCTech for some amazing examples.

As for your situation, the easiest fix is a Dremel. Simply lay the cooler in the position that it should be in with the memory installed and mark where the modules are interfering with the cooling fins.

These fins can be removed by using a metal-cutting disk in a high-speed Dremel, but if that scares you, a small (as small as you can find) pair of wire snips will work as well.

Just tip the cooler over onto a rubber pad, towel, etc for stability and to avoid damaging the top of it, then slowly cut out an "L" where the fins are too low (or the memory is too high, depending on your viewpoint).

This small loss of copper won't affect the overall performance of the cooler in the least. It will void your warranty, but I can't imagine you meant to return the cooler anyways.

PLUR

CK

Thank-you for your response. I have been a hobbyist for years, so I am overdue to purchase a dremel anyway. I purchased a 400/-71 or something like that for $100.00 with 71 accesories kit. I'll use the metal cutting bit as you describe above.... I'm using an all black case for a HTPC and do not like light coming from anywahere. I hope the Zalman LCDCPU cooler does not light so much that it shines thru my fan on the top pf the case... I think I am always going to emphasize quiet.

ROFL, I can understand wanting a dark HTPC, but my gaming rig can be bright since it's usually the only light in the room!

FWIW, it's easier to use one of the dark-red cutting disks rather than the metal cutting blades (the ones that look like small sawblades) and they allow you to clean up your cuts easier... being a hobbiest, you may know that already, but it's just something I picked up while cutting plate steel in one of my cases...

PLUR

CK

Thank-you KC!

I've been assmebling this PC since I got home. Absolutely no need to trim the Zalman Fan... It works absolutely wonderful with perfect spacing all the way around. Nice 0.75 inch air gap from the tall LLPRO memory. The A8N32-SLI deluxe mtherboard seems great. Everything is fitting beautifully in this Antec P180 case as well (The black version from SPCR (Silent PC Review/End PC Noise.com). Anyway, its nice to have a Dremel, I always wanted one. Loks like I won't be using it though... Ok back to assembling, The Zalman LCD CPU fan is on, now it is time to work on the Zalman fan for the eVGA "superclocked" 512MB 7900GTX graphics card...

Archived