Corsair Community

RMA for TWINX2048-3200C2PT

timbob53

Ram Guy,

I have recently purchased a 2GB matched pair of Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2PT from http://www.ebuyer.com and they directed me to you for warranty repairs. Since installing I have had problems with random reboots during memory intensive tasks in games and the occasional windows operation.

I have been running timings of up to 2-3-3-6 at 2.7 volts and @ T1 with no overclocking enabled, dual channel as stated on corsairs website.

I have also relaxed the timings to SPD with no luck. I ran memtest86 version 1.65 and it reported a failing address on test 5 - 00046a2a7f0 (1210.6mb and 1274.6mb) which may not mean much. I have also tested two 512mb Corsair value select modules which I owned previous and they run perfect.

The system was stable previous to installing these modules. I am currently running one module on single channel which may suggest the other is the problem.

Could you please allow me to request an RMA,

Many thanks,

-- System --

Windows XP

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum (latest bios)

AMD64 3200+ Venice

PNY 6600 GT (81.92)

SONY DRU810 DVDRW

2 X Maxtor Diamond Max 10s (SATA 250GB / 300GB RAID 0)

2 Front and Rear case fans

Antec 450 watt PSU

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. And I would try and set the command Rate to 2T and see if that helps as well.

I tested both modules with memtest86 ver 1.65 this afternoon after reseting to optimised defaults in the bios. No errors at 2-3-3-6 voltage 2.7 @ T2

I figured it was the T1 clock cycle that was causing the problems as I ran half life 2 @ the above timings for 2 hours before writing this post where it had previously crashed and rebooted every 20 minutes. I came to save the game and - it rebooted. :sigh!:

Logged back into windows, went to open a few files and it rebooted again. :sigh!: The problems seem to occur quite often when caching large amounts of data.

I don't know if it helps, but I was getting booted in HL 2 with my 2048 (2X1G) XMS 3200C2PTs at 2-3-3-6, 2.8V, and 1T - when I enabled the 2T setting, it's been stable and have yet to get booted in HL2 again. Q4 plays well, everything seems pretty solid.

I posted about it here:

http://houseofhelp.com/v2/showthread.php?p=243047#post243047

Didn't get a follow-up reply, but it seems solid at 2.8V.

Thanks I will give 2.8 volts a try and let you know.

I was a little worried about running too much through it incase it fried the Ram, the board manual doesnt recommend it but its worth a shot.

Sounds like a wise precaution, maybe the RAM Guy will shed some light on that.

I'm sure he's stated that all their RAM is rated to at least 2.9V. The main thing seemed to be the 2T-1T setting, for me. You've got a different board, quite different since it's an Nforce 3 and mine is a Via K8T800 pro, but I was getting booted out of HL2 well before 20 minutes with it at 1T, and not once since going to 2T. But, as far as frying the RAM, I think they cover it to the 2.9 level. The board is another matter...maybe some other Neo 2 owners could shed some light?

• Corsair Employees

Command Rate is not really a memory setting and would be dependant on the make and model of MB and PSU and the specific CPU you have installed. You might look this setting up on http://www.rojakpot.com and get a better explanation.

But if the system is stable at 2T I would just run it there till the next bios release. We can always replace the modules at any time if you can get it resolved. But from what I have see, this seems to me dependant on the CPU, MB and MB Bios and the PSU you have.

Thanks for all your suggestions,

Sadly i'm still having problems even at 2.8 and 2.85 volts @T2 and a whole host of PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA errors cropping up and its only with this set of ram connected.

I very much doubt there will be any further bios updates for the K8N Neo 2 as it was one of the first 939 boards and its MSI have since replaced it with more up to date boards.

I'm gonna send it back corsair for testing as its too expensive to get this sort of unreliability at the stated speeds you pay for.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to let you know -

Had my replacement memory (2x TWINX 3200C2PT) for 4 days now and I have it running at rated -

2-3-3-6 1T @ 2.8V

Dual Channel

Slots 1 & 2

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (Venice)

I've give it some good testing with 3D games (HL2, Quake 4, Fear) and multitasking and its absolutely rock solid and quick, no problems so far what so ever. Seems that despite the original memory having no memtest errors it had issues.

Would have been nice to have some feedback from corsair in their RMA testing though, instead of a straight shipment.

Many Thanks.

Archived