Corsair Community

RAM defective, RMA requested.

PaulCle

Hello there Ram Guy.

I have a one gig kit of Corsair XMS3200. Mdl # CMX512-3200XLPT.

(2) 512 meg sticks.

Recently, on a 8 month old build, I started getting random reboots. I implemented standard OS troubleshooting along with BIOS setting checks. The frequency of the reboots got worse over the past couple weeks.

After no software infestations were evident and the reboots were happening even during XP safe mode, I suspect hardware failure. The simplest component to troubleshoot first was RAM.

In safe mode, I fired up SiSoft Sandra04. The burn in test failed after 2 cycles. I ran Prime95 next. It didn't make it past the first test.

The RAM is running SPD detect timings. The DIMM voltage is set to Auto. The system is not overclocked. AGP/PCI slots are system locked 66/33.

The sticks are a matched pair purchased as a one gig kit from Newegg.

To test my theory, I pulled a pair of Crucial Ballistix from another one of my builds and installed it in the troubled box. Sandra completed 20 cycles without failure. Prime95 has been going for about 4 hours now, no errors. I have also used the PC for it's normal intended use without seeing a reboot with the Crucial ram in place. With the problematic ram, I would not see more than 10-20 mins of PC uptime before reboot.

I am pretty comfortable at believing that either one of both sticks of Corsair RAM has become defective. I welcome any other ideas, but otherwise, I would like to have a RMA issued for replacement.

Thank you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Paul

• Corsair Employees
The modules have a minimum suggested Voltage of 2.75 Volts. Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS3200XL Cass 2-2-2-5 for example then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Archived