Corsair Community

Dual Channel Mode

Greg0215

I am interested in the question about more memory. I have been running Corsaire XMS2 2GB DDR2 Twin2x in dual channel mode. I have since ordered an additional 2GB of the same modules which are PC6400 Pro. Therefore, all 4 modules are the same. When I populate all 4 modules, will it still be running in Dual Channel Mode? Would I keep the same timmings if 5-5-5-12? I have them installed in an ASUS P5WD2 Premium Motherboard with an Intel Pentium 840 D Extreme Edition Processor. Any suggestions for best performance. I use the system primarily for Video Editing with the latest Adobe Production Studio Suite of Applications.

The timings are only guaranteed w/ 1 pair, not 2. Yes, it would still be dual channel mode w/ 4 sticks.

There is no such thing as Dual Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual channel.

May not need more memory. One of our members, specmike, does a ton of video editing across multiple setups and has found out that it's not the amount of memory you have, it's the memory / FSB bandwidth that you have that speeds it up.

Archived