Corsair Community

Stick with 8000UL or downgrade to 6400 PRO?

Hello everybody! I currently am running a P4 650 @ 3.6GHz with XMS2 8000UL @ DDR2704 3-2-2-4 2.3V with great performance. However, I would like to upgrade from 1GB to 2GB or more (Battlefield 2 you see ;): ). I understand I would not get the same performance with 6400 PRO but at the same price I can get an additional 2GB instead of just 1. So my question: what are the best memory timings you can obtain at around DDR2704? Do you think I would be wise to go to 3GB with extra 6400 Pro and reduce my 8000UL speed to the same as the 6400? Performance would go down but, for an additional 1GB at the same price, it's a question I have to ask.

P.S. If I were to go with the 6400 pro and overclock, would my 8000UL be stable at the same overclock as my 6400? (not because they can't go as fast but due to me mixing modules)?

Cheers for the reply! So if I'm going to spend £200 and ending up with 2GB, I may as make it as fast as possible and get the 8000UL. Never knew that if you had the same brand of memory with a speed difference, that they still couldn't and shouldn't be used together. Cheers :):

Archived