Corsair Community

TWINX2048-3200C2PT + Abit Av8

TraderB

Just wondering if there is anything I need to change to get my Abit Av8 and TWINX2048-3200C2PT RAM to work together properly. I thought I had read in some other threads where people had to change the timings on these particular sticks. I just ordered them and they are arriving in the mail tomorrow. Also is there a good way to check to see if they are working right without having to make a boot disk/CD (I do not have a floppy drive). Thanks.

The XMS3200C2 modules come with their SPD chip pre-set to JEDEC defaults for compatibility reasons.

This means they will probably boot to the latencies of 3-3-3-8 whereas they should be 2-3-3-6. That is:

CAS Latency: 2

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3

Row Precharge (tRP): 3

Cycle Time (tRAS): 6

DDR Voltage: 2.75v

And to test your memory, you can run the Windows Memory Diagnostic though it is still not as thorough as Memtest86+.

PLUR

CK

Come to think of it, I think you need to put the Windows test on a disk as well, sorry, but all true memory diagnostics need to be run differently than most programs...

Also, the settings are all in your BIOS and should be detailed in your motherboard's manual under the 'advanced' section of the BIOS chapter.

PLUR

CK

I just got the memory installed and set the timmings to 2-3-3-6 and 2.7V. It came set at 3-3-3-6 or something I think. Everything seems to be working just fine. I will run Memtest on it tonight...need to use computer for homework.:p:

Now if I could just figure out how to get better airflow in my case, then I would be even happier...but alas that is for another place and time.

Thanks again.

Well it seems that my computer idd not like the 2-3-3-6 setings because I kept getting the BSOD. I either got one that did not state a reason or one that said IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL. I changed the settings back to auto on the timings and so far no BSOD...I was getting it mainly while playing Diablo II and with auto settings it has not done it yet. I do not know what the deal is....maybe outdated driver or bad page file?

Okay, I'll try uping the voltage. What do you mean by heat related?

Oh and also what should my SPD memory modules be? In Everest it says 3.0-3-3-8 @200mhz. I have the memory timings at 2-3-3-6 @ 2.80V. I am going to run memtest tonight...I already ran it with both sticks in and it made 3-4 passes with no errors. Thanks for the help.

Yay for BSOD! Changing the timing to 2-3-3-6 and upping voltage to 2.80V did nothing, I still get BSOD and Unhandled Exceptions when playing Diablo II and other applications seem to be getting errors all the time as well. :(: :(:

Archived