Corsair Community

TwinX2048-3200CPT & Asus A7V880

miscbuff

Note: This is not a new system, just a RAM Upgrade.

Previously I had 1.5 gb over 3 sticks of corsair valueselect that worked perfectly.

Asus A7B880 Bios 1009

Athlon XP 2800+

SeaSonic 430W

I have purchased two sets of Twinx2048-3200C and am now trying to install it.

For now, I am focusing on getting at least one set working. Each of the sticks runs through memtest fine and the system boots. However, If I put both sticks in (in any combination of slots) Memtest shows constant errors in the second stick and the system will not boot.

I have tried manually setting suggested timings and voltage, and I have also tried leaving everything auto, neither works.

Help?

Thanks,

Katie

What are the manual settings you've tried?

With that chipset (Via KT880), these should be correct:

Memory interface: 100%/166MHz/DDR333

CAS Latency: 2

RAS to CAS Delay: 3

Row Precharge: 3

Cycle Time (tRAS): 6

DDR Voltage: 2.75 or 2.85 volts, the extra voltage will help the memory controller.

See if that doesn't help. I've had a lot of experience with this particular motherboard and it's rather finicky about memory and frequencies. Since you should start out with a non-overclocked CPU to test the memory, then your memory should be underclocked to DDR333 since this chipset DOES NOT like to run the memory asynchronously.

Give that a try and see what happens.

PLUR

CK

I should have the CAS Latentcy at 2? Everything I read indicated that 2.5 should be used for AMD. As for the other timings I have tried those. I have been using 2.75V, I have not tried 2.85, will do though. I have also tried underclocking the RAM at DDR333. My CPU is not overclocked at all.

Also, if I put all four modules in at 2.5-3-3-6 DDR333 Memtest crashes and my lcd displays a colorful pattern.

Thanks,

Katie

• Corsair Employees
Some motherboards are limited to slower speeds when running the max amount of dimms. Try setting to 3-3-3-7 2T@333MHZ. The AMD Athlon 2800s FSB is 333MHZ. In theory you should run the memory at the same frequency of 333MHZ. Asus has a later bios dated at 2/06 ver. 1010. Give the latest bios a try.

• 9 months later...

Being extremely busy (and requiring a working computer at all times), I've had few chances to try the RAM. Thus far, I have tried everything above mentioned, upgraded to the latest bios, and tried the suggested timings. The same result occurs: A single stick works, no matter which stick and no matter which slot it is in, and runs through memtest with no errors. Two or more sticks in any combination of slots, run through memtest, yields constant errors. I did the TechSupport Express link, and was advised to do an RMA, however this does not make sense to me as every individual module tests fine. I am wondering if anybody on here can give me any more suggestions before I RMA the ram or my motherboard. Unfortunately I do not have another system to test the RAM in.

Thanks,

Katie

I tried all the following timings & settings again tonight with both 4 sticks and 2 sticks, none worked (all cause constant rebooting, in memtest, constant errors):

Voltage: 2.75V, DRamClock: 333Mhz, CAS Latency: 2.5 Bank Interleave: 4-way Trp: 3T Tras:7T Trcd: 3T Trfc: 15T Command Rate: 2T Dram Bus: Auto

Voltage: 2.85V, DRamClock: 333Mhz, CAS Latency: 2.5 Bank Interleave: 4-way Trp: 3T Tras:7T Trcd: 3T Trfc: 15T Command Rate: 2T Dram Bus: Auto

Voltage: 2.75V, DRamClock: 266Mhz, CAS Latency: 2.5 Bank Interleave: 4-way Trp: 3T Tras:7T Trcd: 3T Trfc: 15T Command Rate: 2T Dram Bus: Auto

Voltage: 2.75V, DRamClock: 333Mhz, CAS Latency: 3 Bank Interleave: 4-way Trp: 3T Tras:7T Trcd: 3T Trfc: 15T Command Rate: 2T Dram Bus: Auto

Voltage: 2.75V, DRamClock: 333Mhz, CAS Latency: 2.5 Bank Interleave: 2-way Trp: 3T Tras:7T Trcd: 3T Trfc: 15T Command Rate: 2T Dram Bus: Auto

Voltage: 2.75V, DRamClock: 333Mhz, CAS Latency: 2.5 Bank Interleave: Disabled Trp: 3T Tras:7T Trcd: 3T Trfc: 15T Command Rate: 2T Dram Bus: Auto

Voltage: 2.75V, DRamClock: 333Mhz, CAS Latency: 2.5 Bank Interleave: 4-way Trp: 3T Tras:6T Trcd: 3T Trfc: 15T Command Rate: 2T Dram Bus: Auto

Voltage: 2.75V, DRamClock: 333Mhz, CAS Latency: 2.5 Bank Interleave: 4-way Trp: 3T Tras:8T Trcd: 3T Trfc: 15T Command Rate: 2T Dram Bus: Auto

Voltage: 2.75V, DRamClock: 333Mhz, CAS Latency: 2.5 Bank Interleave: 4-way Trp: 3T Tras:7T Trcd: 3T Trfc: 15T Command Rate: 1T Dram Bus: Auto

Voltage: 2.75V, DRamClock: 333Mhz, CAS Latency: 2.5 Bank Interleave: 4-way Trp: 3T Tras:7T Trcd: 3T Trfc: 15T Command Rate: 2T Dram Bus: Dual

Voltage: 2.75V, DRamClock: 333Mhz, CAS Latency: 2.5 Bank Interleave: 4-way Trp: 3T Tras:7T Trcd: 3T Trfc: 15T Command Rate: 2T Dram Bus: Single

The bolded items are what was changed from test to test. Again, each individual module runs through memtest with no errors through many passes and windows boots. Memtest with 2 or more modules causes constant errors but at point causes the screen to display a colored pattern.

I did not take photos of the bios, however, after building this computer and 5 years of upgrading it, I am confident in my familiarity with the bios.

The current ram in my system is 3-512mb dimms of corsair valueselect.

Thanks,

Katie

You are clearly not reading my posts very closely.

This is a ram upgrade: I previously had (currently using because its all that works) 3-512mb dimms that work perfectly fine, and show no errors in memtest (indicating that the ram slots on the mobo are not bad.)

I am upgrading to 2 sets of TwinX2048-3200CPT matching versions. I understand that 4- 1gb dimms is the max amount for my motherboard, however I am unable to get even one set working. The "What RAM works with my Mobo" link indicates that the Asus A7V880 and the TwinX2048-3200C are compatible.

I tested all the above stated settings (the first settings tried are the ones you suggested) with memtest86. I previously stated that with one set of the twinX and both sets in, the same result occurs: memtest runs for a while showing constant errors, then it freezes and displays colorful geometric patterns on the screen.

Each single module of the twinx can be put in any of the ram slots and run through memtest showing no errors and can boot to windows. (Indicating that the RAM is not bad?).

Thank you,

Katie

• Corsair Employees

Katie,

You previous posts are verry confusing sorry but I was under the impression you had three modules and had the problem.

And when you change the modules did you make sure you had the latest bios and load setup defaults and set the settings accordingly to your Configuration?

For testing I would suggest these settings with one set at a time.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

As I previously stated, I tried all the settings I listed with both each set separately and with both sets in. It is most definately the latest version of the bios, that has been checked 3 times and defaults were loaded before I started my test. In all cases, with more than one stick in, memtest86 showed constant errors, froze and displayed a colorful pattern on my monitor. 2.7V is not an option in the bios, 2.75 was used. It is getting ridiculous in that you are only telling me to try what I have already done (memtest and timings that have already been suggested).

Katie

• Corsair Employees

Katie,

If I understanding you correctly and please correct me if I miss understand you. One module will run and pass http://www.memtest.org (Any of the modules you have, one up) but any two or more will fail? Is that correct?

If yes; then I would suggest testing with another MB and or CPU as that would suggest a problem with that system.

If the answer is no, then I am sorry I dont catch the problem other than 4 modules dont work in your system. And as I have tried to explain the settings you are running them at may be the issue.

At any rate I have no problem replacing your modules if you want to try that.

Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them or it.

Archived