Corsair Community

Still Need Help With Ram

XyBeRz

Okay, I've used the Corsair memory selector on the website and I've read a couple of the posts regarding the mobo I'm using. The only problem is that everyone is using a faster CPU than mine and I'm not sure how much it will bottleneck the ram and wondering if I should get the absolute highest ram for my setup.

My system consists of:

Abit NF7-S v2.0

AMD Athlon XP 1600+ CPU w/AGOIA stepping, still locked, but will be unlocked soon to allow for the higest voltage possible, which would be 2.1v

eVGA 6800GS modded and unlocked to 6800 Ultra Extreme 256MB AGP

Soundblaster Xtreme 24bit soundcard

Swiftech Storm waterblock

PSU is generic but will be upgrading to at least a 500W modular PSU

What is the best ram I should use for my setup? I want 2GB no doubt about it. I do a lot of multitasking on my computer so I need the extra memory. I'll list the things I usually use my computer for.

1. Games, FEAR, Halo, Elder Scrolls IV

2. Video converting

3. Usually uploading torrents

4. Getting into using Sketchup, 3D rendering CAD style program

Of course also the little usual things like word processing, etc.

The selector said to use 500Mhz ram, but my board is only rated for 400Mhz. So what gives?

I really need to upgrade from the crappy ram I have now. It's not cutting the mustard. :confused:

Okay, I've used the Corsair memory selector on the website and I've read a couple of the posts regarding the mobo I'm using. The only problem is that everyone is using a faster CPU than mine and I'm not sure how much it will bottleneck the ram and wondering if I should get the absolute highest ram for my setup.

My system consists of:

Abit NF7-S v2.0

AMD Athlon XP 1600+ CPU w/AGOIA stepping, still locked, but will be unlocked soon to allow for the higest voltage possible, which would be 2.1v

eVGA 6800GS modded and unlocked to 6800 Ultra Extreme 256MB AGP

Soundblaster Xtreme 24bit soundcard

Swiftech Storm waterblock

PSU is generic but will be upgrading to at least a 500W modular PSU

What is the best ram I should use for my setup? I want 2GB no doubt about it. I do a lot of multitasking on my computer so I need the extra memory. I'll list the things I usually use my computer for.

1. Games, FEAR, Halo, Elder Scrolls IV

2. Video converting

3. Usually uploading torrents

4. Getting into using Sketchup, 3D rendering CAD style program

Of course also the little usual things like word processing, etc.

The selector said to use 500Mhz ram, but my board is only rated for 400Mhz. So what gives?

I really need to upgrade from the crappy ram I have now. It's not cutting the mustard. :confused:

To be honest, you're limited by your CPU - all Palomino-core Athlon XP processors, such as your AGOIA-stepping 1600+, use a 133MHz FSB (DDR266). If you will not be overclocking your CPU, then there is no use at all whatsoever to run your memory any faster than PC2100/DDR266 (actual 133MHz memory clockspeed). In fact, on a Socket A AMD platform such as yours, running your memory at a faster actual clockspeed than your CPU's actual FSB clockspeed will degrade your system's stability, significantly increasing the risk of repeated program crashes.

He's going to overclock it.

Even so, he will still be limited. If he unlocks the multiplier (permitting a lower or higher multiplier), he will still be limited by the lowest multiplier that he can set with his motherboard. (Some motherboards will not even let you set a multiplier below 10 without adversely affecting operation of any Athlon XP processor - an overly low multiplier on such motherboards would disable certain features of an Athlon XP processor by defaulting its feature set to a plain non-XP Athlon.) On the other hand, if he raises his CPU's FSB, he will hit a brick wall with his Palomino-core CPU: I have not seen any Palomino-core Athlon XP's which overclock to anything above about 1.8GHz - roughly that of a 2200+. Thus, even if he overclocks his CPU with a raised FSB but a lowered multiplier, the fastest memory he can realistically use with his Palomino-core Athlon XP would be DDR333 (PC2700) memory.

Hmmmm... This turns out to be a pretty tuff scenario. Yes, I most definately want to overclock the memory as much as possible. I'll be watercooling the ram with a waterblock as to keep the heat down as much as possible so I may run completely stable without heat issues. Also being in Hawaii, the temperatures don't help much.

My CPU is currently being overclocked to 1950mhz on air. I still have it at default voltage of 1.60v.

If my CPU is going to limit the speeds of my memory then, what would be the best ram to suggest and what speeds do you think I could hit? :confused:

Hmmmm... This turns out to be a pretty tuff scenario. Yes, I most definately want to overclock the memory as much as possible. I'll be watercooling the ram with a waterblock as to keep the heat down as much as possible so I may run completely stable without heat issues. Also being in Hawaii, the temperatures don't help much.

My CPU is currently being overclocked to 1950mhz on air. I still have it at default voltage of 1.60v.

If my CPU is going to limit the speeds of my memory then, what would be the best ram to suggest and what speeds do you think I could hit? :confused:

RJLeong65 is right, your ram settings should be the same as the fsb on the cpu (i dont think it can be higher on that motherboard, only lower but with problems)

Why are you thinking about overclocking the memory? What fsb are you using now? You are lucky if you can raise the fsb on that motherboard to 220mhz (with a barthon cpu or better) so the cheapest 3200 ram is enough to max out your system. The cas setting will improve performance slightly so of you want the most out of your system buy a cas 2.0 kit instead of cas 3.0

edit: dont waste money on cooling for ram..... this will probably require that you remove the heat sinks (voided warranty) and lead to no gain at all. With the cpu you use now you probably can't go over 200 mhz fsb so it's really underclocking and no heat issues should arise.

I've bumped up my speed a little bit to about 2.1 ghz so far and upped the voltage slightly to 1.675v for the CPU.

My FSB is running at 161 at 13x multiplier. AMD is supposed to be running at at 2x the displayed speeds so I guess it's about 321mhz FSB.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are wrong

If the your cpu is running 161*13 it means your fsb is 161. What you refer to is the memory speed, and it's true that if your memory is running at 1:1 fsb:memory then your memory speed will be fsb*2 = 322mhz.

pc3200 memory is cabable of runing at 400mhz (200mhz fsb)....

I have some experience using that motherboard and i'd sugest that you try to get your hands on a used (but cheap....) xp2500 with barthon core. They have more cache than your cpu and overclock good. I reached 11*217mhz fsb stable with that motherboard, but some only reach 11*200.

My conclusion after a lot of reading and testing is that nf7-s v2.0 is maxed out somewhere below 220 mhz fsb (variations!). This may sound dissapointing today when many motherboards can reach 300mhz or more, but the abit nf7-s was almost unbeatable at overclocking potential when it was new. There vere only a socket A card from DFI that could outperform it, but most got the abit card because it was almost half the price (at least where i live).

This is a while ago, but i used 2*256mb corsair pc3200 value ram and was able to max out the potential on my motherboard (217mhz) and use tighter timings on the ram 2-3-2-11 at the same time. Keep in mind that the 1024mb value dimms overclock less, so i doubt they can reach anything better than 2.5-3-3-11 (maybe less - theyre rated for cas 3.0)

ehm....forgot my point :)

your fsb is 161 and your ram should be 322mhz.....that means even if you buy pc3200 that is seriously underclocking the memory.

Other setting than 1:1 ram:fsb is possible in the bios, but it's been tested alot (search the web) and the result is worse overall performance and/or stability issues.

This i not true for the new socket 939 motherboards, it was an issue on socket A motherboards, but alot has changed as the memory controller is integrated in the cpu now instead of the motherboard.

So what's the best suggestion for ram? I plan to get a 400Mhz FSB AMD CPU really soon. If I do get the best overclockable ram to use in combination with that CPU? I should be able to use 400Mhz ram with that combo board and CPU, so that's the real reason why I asked. I forgot to mention it at the beginning. But I also wonder how fast I'd be able to run that same ram with my XP 1600+ now? I wouldn't be hurting the ram even though it will be underclocked, will I?

I have some experience using that motherboard and i'd sugest that you try to get your hands on a used (but cheap....) xp2500 with barthon core. They have more cache than your cpu and overclock good. I reached 11*217mhz fsb stable with that motherboard, but some only reach 11*200.

What stepping CPU would be good for the XP 2500+? I only want to use the best possible chips out there, that's why I originally bought my XP 1600+ AGOIA CPU.

Thanks

I don't remember what stepping....try the forums on http://www.xtremesystems.com

If you want the best for socket A then look for a xp-m. Theese are the mobile versions of the socket A cpu and are tested stable at very low voltage compared to the normal xp cpu. The most sought after where i live was the 35w version of xp-m 2400+ (there is also a 45w wich overclock less). From reviews on the net it seems like the xp-m 2500 and 2600 is good choices. They are multiplier unlocked and it's not uncommon to see speeds of 2,6 - 2,8 ghz.

The xp-m will most likely outperform all other socket A cpu in overclocking, but be warned... the motherboard may need new unoficial bios to support the cpu and....the stock fsb on them is 133mhz. xp-m has the same amount of cache etc as the barthon cpu but barthon is made for 166 or 200 mhz fsb. The xp-m could be modified so that it supports 166mhz....(more easy to overclock to 200 if it's done), but the easy way to overclock it is to raise multiplier.

Your other question, no i don't think underclocking would hurt your memory, but it's very unlikely they will overheat as you said in a earlier post.

I have no idea what ram will suit your need best but if you want 1gb dimms go for some ram with cas 2.0 (the cheapest :laughing: ) If you want 512mb dimms i'd choose anything based on bh-5 chips. They are highly overclockable at very aggressive/low timings at an affordable price.....but you need to ask the ram guy which corsair modules use theese chips.

Thanks for the great info! I'll probably be picking up either a 2500 or 2600 xp-m chip now.

But I'm wondering about one thing regarding the mobile chips. You say that the Barton cores come stock as 166 or 200Mhz FSB and the Mobile can be set to run that speed by raising the multiplier. So if that's the case, then wouldn't I also be able to raise the multiplier on the Barton cores and make them run past 200Mhz FSB? If that were the case, then in the end the Barton cores would still run faster than the mobile processors, but at the cost of more power and heat.

no, all the new xp cpus have locked multiplier. you may get lucky and find a new one but it will overclock less no matter what you do because at some point you can't overclock more because you can't keep the cpu cool enough.

The nice thing about xp-m is this: at 1.65v (the stock voltage on a normal xp cpu) you're already giving it alot of extra juice so you can already overclock it much. If you compare them they should be equally hot but the xp-m version is running at higher than specified voltage wich should lead to higher clocking possibilities.

btw: I still believe the 35w version of xp-m 2400 was the best overclocker of them but they vere also hardest to find

Anyway, the way to overclock a xp-m system is raise the fsb as far as you can...when you found max stable fsb then raise the multiplier of the cpu until it's unstable.

Try this google search "xp-m" & overclock

http://compreviews.about.com/od/cpus/l/aaAMDXPM2600.htm (xp 2600 compared to xp-m 2600)

Archived