Corsair Community

Faulty RAM / Need RMA

I have two sticks of CMX512-4400C25 in my system, bought January 2005.

When I got them, I couldn't get them to go past around 240MHz, but I assumed that was the CPU not wanting to overclock. After getting back from an extended trip overseas a few weeks back, my mum told me that the computer had been crashing alot when she tried to use it.

I played around with the settings, and managed to get them stable, but only at 166MHz/DDR333, CPU not overclocked at all. Not happy. Eventually I decided to see if the beta bios I was running on the motherboard was the cause, so I upgraded. Instant death for the computer!!!

Or not; A friend with the same mobo let me stick the RAM in his PC and run MemTest86+ (it's built into the BIOS). Red everywhere (ie it fails). I have a photo which I can send if needed. The RAM doesn't let him boot into Windows at all, and putting his RAM in my PC works fine (he's even lent me a stick while I get this sorted out).

I'm hoping that this is enough detail to get an RMA going.

Regards,

Andrew

I'd been running it at defaults/auto, with RAM voltage running at around 2.75-2.8V. No CPU/RAM overclocking. In fact, the RAM ended up underclocked and still inoperational.

I've done another retest in my friends machine; again, stock everything, and the RAM errors everywhere in MemTest86+ and refuses to boot into windows (his RAM, same stock settings works fine).

I've sent an RMA through the TechExpress part of the Corsair website, and am just waiting on an RMA no. now.

• Corsair Employees

Please try these settings and see if the modules are stable but please make sure you have the latest -2 BIOS installed for your MB (download the Beta version Only From DFI) and you have the modules in the Yellow slots and load optimized defaults settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX512 or Twinx1024-3200Xl

Genie BIOS/DRAM Configuration

DRAM Frequency Set: 2:1 or 400MHz or 200 (if option are 133/166/200)

Command per Clock: Enabled

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

And leave the rest at AUTO setting

Genie BIOS

FSB BUS Frequency: 200

LDT/FSB Frequency ratio: 5X

LDT Bus Transfer Width: 16 16

CPU/FSB Frequency ratio: Auto

PCI Ex: 100

K8 cool N’ quiet: Disable

CPU VID Start Up Value: 1.55 (Depends On CPU Core)

CPU VID Control: 1.55 (Depends On CPU Core)

CPU VID Special Control: Auto

Chipset Voltage Control: 1.6

DRAM Voltage Control: 2.8

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

The latest DFI beta (which has no suffix, though articles elsewhere have stated that Corsair TCCD should be a -1 suffix, not -2), is NF4LD329, and is what I have been trying on my system. My friend whose identical board I have been using to test as well has a BIOS from July last year, which used to work with my RAM. His BIOS reports corruption during MemTest and refuses to load Windows; my BIOS refuses to POST with the RAM sticks in there.

FWIW I have tried those settings during my attempts to get the RAM to work; no go.

• Corsair Employees

I would try the latest version or the -2 623 version with the modules in the yellow slots and test the modules one at a time to make sure one is not failing or if possible I would use another make of MB to make sure it's not your MB to test the modules. However, I have no problem replacing the modules if you like, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them or it.

The information we have from DFI suggests Samsung TCCD IC's should use the -2 or -3 version and if you have any other IC use the -1 version.

Archived