Corsair Community

memory problem

mattyboync

i just installed a 1gb stick of pc3200 corsair value ram ... before i had a 512 kit (2x256mb pc2700) ... d865perl board w/ 533fsb 2.4 p4 ... when i installed the 1gb stick my performance took a huge hit ... even if i take the 2x256 out it performs terribly ... i dont understand the issue here ... i know i can only run the 1gb at 333 with my cpu and everything should be ok ... i dont understand why its having problems here ... i would love any help

I would assume your chipset is defaulting to single-channel mode and/or forcing you to run a 2T command rate which puts a large dent in your bandwidth.

You can run CPU-Z to see what your active settings are with each configuration. A screenshot of the 'memory' tab would be helpful for the original setup (2x256) and the new module (1x1gb).

You should also run Memtest86+ with just the new module installed to make sure it's not tossing errors.

PLUR

CK

i ran mem test and found no errors .. it is forcing me into single channel ... but i expected that when only getting a single stick of 1gb ... i guess i figured that 1gb more ram would be better in single channel than staying with 512 in dual ... i am planning on buying another stick of this 1gb to have 2gb but im a grad student with limited funds haha ... but i fear this is more than just a normal issue ... when i drag a window across my screen for instance it doesnt flow across it like jumps across ... i thought at first that perhaps it was my video driver but i have since reinstalled that and im having the same problems ... i am at a loss really ... im goingto try to find an old bios version (i just updated mine) and see if that may be the issue

Archived