Corsair Community

Shuttle SN95G5 & Corsair TwinX: Wierd dual channel problem

woosl

Hi

Specs:

AMD64 3500+ / ShuttleXPC SN95G5 (nforce3 ultra) 939 / 2x512MB MATCHED memory pair (Corsair TwinX) / Leadtek WinfastA400TDH (Geforce 6800) / Seagate S-ATA HD (ST3200922AS)

I have this strange problem with my shuttle pc. The system performed just fine until some two months ago. Suddenly the system wouldn't boot up sporadically, showed BSODs, or just crashed randomly running memory demanding applications (above all World of Warcraft). I suspected the memory and got it replaced by my local retailler. However, the new pair gave me the same issues so I returned it to the store and they tested it on their systems and even sent it to corsair and the memory was confirmed to perform just nicely. Well, it doesn't with my system, so I tried to isolate the problem and replaced/removed all optional hardware and tested the rams one by one.

The funny thing is and here it gets odd for my comprehension: In single channel (one module installed, no matter which they're both fine) the system runs perfectly stable. No problems whatsoever. As soon as I put in both modules I'm back to the "no-stability status"...

If I boot up the system running memtest with only one module installed the test goes on and on finding not one single error. If both modules are installed running in dual channel, memtest crashes every time after 0-10min.

I've contacted the shuttle support service and they tried to fob me off by saying the modules may not be compatible with the shuttleXPC which doesn't sound very convincing after checking this site.

Now I'm pretty desperate. I know the Ram and/or the Mainboard is/are the problem although both components seem to be working if isolated.

I will be very grateful for any information :)

PS: Excuse my English, it's not my mother-tongue

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

thank's for the quick reply but did you actually read my posting? :(:

The modules are fine, both of them. I have tested them with memtest one by one and haven't found any errors as described above. These are, after all, new modules and confirmed to be error-free from corsair.

So as long as only one module is installed, the system is perfectly stable.

I only have problems with BOTH modules installed no matter what voltage or timing i put on.

Also with both modules installed memtest doesn't find any errors, the program (along with the pc) just crashes after some time of testing.

if possible please re-read my initial posting

• Corsair Employees
Yes I did read your post and if both modules run one up but not when installled as long as both modules are exactly matched that would suggest a problem with the CPU or MB or maybe the PSU. I would suggest testing the memory in another system to be sure.

Archived