Corsair Community

Twin X 2048-3200 on ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe

I have two matched pair of Twin X 2048-3200 DDR400 XMX3200 Memory (2x1GB Matched) on a ASUS, A8N-SLI Deluxe 64 bit AMD 939 Socketed Motherboard. I am only seeing 3GB of RAM when I get "Preferences" on "My Computer". I had all indications from supplier that I would be able to use 4GB of RAM with these memory chips. What can I do at this point to fix the problem?:(:

What version of Windows are you using?

And there is a setting to remap the memory in Bios did you set that setting? Check your manual in section 4.

I am using Windows XP Professional W/ SP2 for the OS. The ASUS User Guide has information about Memory Configuration in 2-11 with a table that does not show the Twin X 2048-3200, but does cover the 3200C2. That table shows that the 3200C2 is not supported for "4 modeles inserted into the Blue and Black slots as two pairs of Dual-channel memory configuration."

Also on Page 4-21 there is section on DRAM configuration that allows you to change settings for Max Memclock, 1T/2T Memory Timing (Auto, 1T, 2T), CAS# Latency-Tcl (Auto, 2, 2.5, 3), RAS# to CAS# Delay-Tcd (Auto, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7), Min RAS# Active Time-Tras (Auto, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15), Row Precharge Time-Trp (Auto, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6), and Master EDD Enable (Disable, Enable). So I am not sure what you are referring to except to manually set the Latency. The available settings don't match my RAM as I believe the Latency for 2048-3200 is 3338 so the last digit cannot be set in the manual configuration. That is if I understand the options listed.

Please advise me on what to do with this situation.

Thanks,

:confused:

• Corsair Employees
Please call our Tech support (888-222-4346) and we will help you with the bios settings, if you can not find it. I just looked in the manual and that part was ommited, but I had this MB and know the setting is there. If you call we can help you with it.

Please call our Tech support (888-222-4346) and we will help you with the bios settings, if you can not find it. I just looked in the manual and that part was ommited, but I had this MB and know the setting is there. If you call we can help you with it.

Thanks for the responce. I called and talked with a technical person who informed me that Windows XP Professional 32 bit OS will not recognize 4GB of RAM and that this is a common problem with people who call up expecting to see 4 GB of RAM on their system. Some people have reported being able to get 4GB by doing away with virtual memory in order to use more physical RAM, but the results are not consistent. This appears to me to be a situation where RAM manufacturers are playing to the lack of knowledge of the users to sell more RAM when they know full well that it cannot be used. It seems to me to be a disservice to computer users and a questionable sales tactic.

Thanks for the help after the fact.

:mad:

How in the world are ram manufacturers playing to the lack of knowledge of users?

Most people don't use 1 GB, let alone 2 GB (assuming high end gamers here), let alone 4 GB! 4 GB = home / small business users = photo editing, databases, etc. Whatever the use, it's still a limitation of XP 32 bit. Of course, Server OS', which would have a higher probability of using 4 GB, as well as XP 64-bit, don't have this issue. Then there's other OS' out there.

Either way, the BIOS will see all 4 in most instances, therefore you ARE getting what you bought. Also, XP 32-bit will still use all 4 GB (assuming mobo isn't eating some up), but it won't let the user (or related processes) use certain portions of the memory that it needs when all slots / ranks / banks / whatever are being used.

Ultimately, any person who buys something without doing any research about it is to blame, and no one else.

I had all indications from supplier that I would be able to use 4GB of RAM with these memory chips.
How EXACTLY did they phrase this?

There are a few reasons why you aren't seeing the whole 4GB, here are some explanations. Please note that this is documentation direct from Microsoft. They built it, they should know how it works:

The amount of RAM reported by the System Properties dialog box and the System Information tool is less than you expect after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2

Also, please read this document, specifically, the table on page 8:

http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/4GB_Rev1.pdf

This applies to AMD systems as much as it does an Intel system.

• Corsair Employees
For the Record! I have repeatedly on many posts here in this forum tried to discourage end users from buying more that 2.0 Gig of memory! In addition we have made it clear that we only test and suggest one set of modules on any MB. This is the first time I think any one has made a statement like that to me. I am disappointed to see you say that to me mbbailey123. But I would have to add with regards to marketing. If you purchase a car, many cars have a speedometer that will have a max speed of 100-120 MPH, but we know its not reasonable to expect to run the car at that speed.. Or that many cars have 5 or 6 seats and if you put 5 or 6 people in the car it will be a bit uncomfortable.

Archived