Corsair Community

TWINX1024-3200LL and Asus A8N SLI Premium timings?

Thor74

I had these modules in my old Intel system running fine at 2-2-2-6-4 on the Asus i875P P4C800E-Dlx board on Dual Channel setup. No problems at all.

Now I have a Nforce4 SLI board, the Asus A8N SLI Premium (latest BETA BIOS 1011.066)and when I let everything in AUTO I can run Memtest86+ for an hour without problems, but the timings are really loosen, I know these modules can push better timings than the auto ones from the SPD.

My problem is that there are really new timing values for me on the Nforce4 chipset. I have been reading on Adrian's Rojak Pot BIOS guide and could find the meaning of some of these new options but there were some that I didn't find.

I tried to set manual timings and now my system doesn't boot (I get the memory fail error from the POST voice). It looks like I am gonna have to clear the CMOS and try again but I would like recommendation for these non-standard timings (I didn't find these timings on the compatibility charts from Ramguy).

I am not overclocking, my system is running at 200Mhz. I have a 4200+ X2 Dual Core CPU.

These are the names of the timings in BIOS and the "very optimistic" values that I tried (and make the system fail POST):

Memory Timing 1T/2T: 1T

CAS latency (tcl): 2

RAS to CAS delay (trcd): 2

Row Precharge Time (trp): 2

Row Cycle Time (trc): 7

Row Refresh Cycle Time (trfc): 9 (I have NO IDEA what this is)

Write Recovery Time (twr): 2

Read-to-write delay (trwt): 1

I am sure that these values are too aggressive, that's why I am needing advice. I don't like to run these at the AUTO timings, I know they can give more than that.

I appreciate your help. Thanks.

• Corsair Employee

Please load setup defaults and then set these settings and test the modules with http://www.memtest.org.

Memory Timing 1T/2T: 2T

RAS to CAS delay (trcd): 3

Row Cycle Time (trc): 6

Row Refresh Cycle Time (trfc):Bios Default/Auto

Write Recovery Time (twr): Bios Default/Auto

Read-to-write delay (trwt): Bios Default/Auto

DDR Voltage: 2.8 Volts

Thanks. I found that the setting that produces the POST error is:

Row Refresh Cycle Time (trfc): 9. All the rest can be modified and the PC pass the POST.

These are the values that I have set for "all the night" testing with Memtest86+. I guess it is the same to test with this one as with the original Memtest86 isn't it? Last build of the "+" is from january 2005, the original is from november 2004. Anyway, they both share the same core.

Memory Timing 1T/2T: 1T

RAS to CAS delay (trcd): 3

Min RAS active time (tras): 6

Row Cycle Time (trc): 8

Row Refresh Cycle Time (trfc): 13 (default)

Write Recovery Time (twr): 3 (default)

Read-to-write delay (trwt): 1

Let's see tomorrow what the results are. If everything goes ok I will start the Windows installation tomorrow.

I have disabled USB Legacy support as others have done with these boards while testing the RAM in memtest86.

I have a question Ramguy: Why DDR voltage 2.8 volts? The default on my board is AUTO but I didn't check what is the actual voltage, doesn't it work ok as it is? How much voltage does the board provides at the default value then? I have never modified voltage settings unless I am overclocking, and I am not OC this system,

Thanks a lot.

These modules had a minimum suggested voltage tof 2.75 Volts and 2.8 Would be what I would suggest with this MB.

2.8 is then. It ran memtest86+ for 7 hours without any error with the settings posted before :)

I have manually set the voltage to 2.8 and I am ATM running the last memtest before installing the OS.

I am wondering: From the modules that Corsair sells now, which ones offer the same characteristics as these 3200LL that are not sold anymore? When I bought this memory (3 years ago) it was top notch on the scale. I guess that it is still very good memory if you are running DDR400, even on newer chipsets no?

Thanks a lot for your help Ramguy.

Archived