Corsair Community

I think bad Ram, but now way I can comfirm.

genu

OK, basically I built a new computer. I ordered the cmx1024-3500LLPRO Ram, and installed them in my PC. My computer kept saying that files are now found when I tried to install windows XP and I thought the CD ROM was scratched. I tried to install windows XP with other CD-ROMS, but I found that the cd wasnt the problem. Later I learned, that the RAM was bad due to MEMTEST results. I then RMAd the RAM, and sent them in. I received the replaced RAM, and put them in. Now, however, every once in a while my computer just freezes. This usually happends when I close certain programs---the mouse just locks up. If, for example, I'm playing a song in the background, the computer would freeze but the song would still be playing. With the computer frozen, if I let it stay frozen, windows would eventually crash with a blue screen saying that "a hardware that you installed is malfuncitoning.". Next, I tried to just use one stick of RAM but that froze my computer as well. FINALLY, I just threw in an old stick of RAM that I had lying around. So far, my computer has not frozen with this old chip of ram. I ran MEMtest on the corsair and shows no problems at all. But so far, it seems that the corsair is the problem because my computer has not crashed yet. Should I RMA this exchanged RAM too? It seems pretty ridiculous that this is my second time RMAing this product. What are the chances that I would get 2 sets of bad RAM one after the other. This RAM was reccommended by my motherboard, but I guess I have to look for something else, because like I said... it pretty ridiculous what I have to go threw.

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup/optimized defaults with the latest bios version installed and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB and set the CPU Frequency manually in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived