Corsair Community

Asus A7N8X Deluxe + VS1GBKIT400 = problems

MrC

Hi,

Bought the VS1GBKIT400 memory kit the other week as an upgrade (from a 512MB dual TwinMOS kit) and immediately ran into problems with Windows XP re-booting at random. Have looked in the forum here and found various things to try (memory voltage at 2.7 volts and memory frequency at 100%) but memtest86+ fails with both modules in (it passes with one in at a time, except when using the third slot).

Basic details of my system:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev 2.0 with the latest bios

Athlon 3200+

Thanks for ay help,

Mike

Welcome to the forums, Mr. C!

Can you try both modules in the first two slots?

Also, either module fails when used alone, but in the third slot?

If they pass together in 1 & 2, but fail both times in the third slot, that would indicate a failing chipset because the third slot is a separate memory controller channel.

Since your old modules were 256MB's apiece and single sided (most likely) they may have provided a configuration which bypassed a failing of the chipset which has shown up with higher density (and double-sided) modules.

Also, try resetting your CMOS and manually setting the latencies to 3-4-4-8 at 2.75 volts, CPU Interface at 100%.

PLUR

CK

Hi KC,

Thanks for the info, I've tried various set-ups...

The "DDR Reference Voltage" can only be either 2.7V or 2.8V so I've set it to 2.7V, the "Memory frequency" I've set to 100%. I've left the memory timings at "optimal" which made them 2.5T-3-3-8.

With both modules in slots 1 & 2, 1 & 3 and 2 & 3 they fail memtest86+.

With single modules in each slot they always fail in slot 3 with memtest86+.

Changing the memory settings to "User defined" 3T-4-4-8 and with both modules in slots 1 & 2, 1 & 3 and 2 & 3 they fail memtest86+.

I also upped the "DDR Reference Voltage" to 2.8V but it didn't help, the tests still failed.

Any more thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

"With single modules in each slot they always fail in slot 3 with memtest86+."

So they pass in slots 1 & 2 when only one module is installed at a time?

Again, sounds like a faulty chipset that's having major issues running either dual-channel, the second channel, or large amounts of memory (as in 1 & 2 being populated).

However, it would be a very good test if you had a friend that would install the modules and run Memtest86+ on another system, just to double-check the modules.

If they run on another system, then it's your mainboard.

If they do NOT run on another system, you should look for an RMA.

PLUR

CK

"So they pass in slots 1 & 2 when only one module is installed at a time?"

Yes.

I have no access to another system to test them in so what are my options?

Thanks,

Mike

• Corsair Employees

Please install the modules in slots 2-3 and then load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to Cass 2.5-3-3-8 and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 200MHz

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

Archived