Corsair Community

Mixing similar RAM - Corsair 3200XL and XLPT

astrallionheart

I currently have a single stick of CMX512-3200XL (2225). Since I don't want to go through the hassel of selling this thing, and would like to achieve a 2GB level for Oblivion and some other *demanding* (or badly programmed, I don't know) games, I'm planning to buy another 3 sticks of CMX512-3200XL. Most likely, I'll pick up a matched pair TWINX1024-3200XLPT, plus another single stick of CMX512-3200XL.

I suspect all of these sticks of RAM are the same/similar. Since I assume XL and XLPTs can be swapped (they share the same FAQ sheet, I assume differences are cosmetic), will there be a problem between mixing CMX512-3200LX and a pair of TWINX1024-3200XLPTs? They are all 2-2-2-5 latency. I personally don't see any problems here but I'm not entirely versed in the limitations of dual-channel.

The most sure way is probably to get 3 sticks of CMX512-3200XL and forget about it...but getting a matched pair is cheaper, so I am looking for opinions on compatibility.

It will probably be a mistake. Modern high speed dual channel memory controllers, either on the motherboard with Intel cpu's or on the cpu with Amd, are very very picky about having matching IC's (integrated circuit chips) on each of the sticks and between sticks. It doesn't matter what brand ram either, all of the IC's must match or you'll have problems. If you purchased the original 512mb stick more than a month ago, it's likely the version numbers won't match, hence the IC's won't match. Sorry.

To all:

Version Numbers by themselves DO NOT strictly notate what IC is used! To find out what IC is used in a module, please post in this thread w/ the part # / version # / lot #. Without ALL 3 pieces of information, the IC cannot be identified.

IC Inquiry Thread

Also another important note: PT and non-PT version #s / lot #s cannot be compared with each other, as IIRC they are considered different models and have in the past changed independently of each other.

HOWEVER, this is irrelevant in the case of 3200XLs. They all use TCCD ICs. There are 2 versions: 1.1 and 1.2. There is a PCB difference however in the two revisions. While in general PCB changes are not strictly linked to version #s (AFAIK), in the case of 3200XLs they are.

Long story short, as long as they're the same version # (in your specific case posted here only), yeah, they should work together fine. To be safe I'd wait for an official response from Ram Guy.

astrallionheart:

Please do not bump a thread within 24 hours as per the forum rules, ESPECIALLY when Corsair's closed during the time both posts were made.

Yeah sorry about the bump.

I just purchased another stick of 512mb 3200XL, so when it arrives here I will do a memtest to see if dual channel is being properly run.

Any chance the memtest will say dual channel is being run, and in fact it isn't? (aka the IC incompatibility you spoke of).

I just noticed on my stick of RAM on the far right side of the shiny sticker it says "XMS320Bv1.2"

I wonder if this indiciates its IC 1.2? In that case, if I do get a IC 1.1 version, should I not even bother putting it in, or is there an offchance of it working (with the IC1.2 stick) anyway?

Any chance the memtest will say dual channel is being run, and in fact it isn't? (aka the IC incompatibility you spoke of).
There is no such thing as Dual Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual channel. In otherwords, the slot config the memory is in and nothing else notates dual / single channel. Again, same IC in all 3200XLs. There MAY be an issue with the different PCBs, maybe not.

I just noticed on my stick of RAM on the far right side of the shiny sticker it says "XMS320Bv1.2"
That's 3208, not 320B.

I wonder if this indiciates its IC 1.2? In that case, if I do get a IC 1.1 version, should I not even bother putting it in, or is there an offchance of it working (with the IC1.2 stick) anyway?
Won't blow up or anything, no physical harm in trying it.

Thanks for the heads up on the 1.2 and 1.1 revisions. These two pieces of RAM definitely do not work together, even though they have the same clockspeed, internal timings, and ICs.

Seperately they work fine, but together they start crashing during any intense gaming situations. I can run around in Oblivion just fine, but as soon as the action heats up and I start swinging the sword/casting spells, the computer instantly reboots. Either stick will run the game just fine.

Time to sell these and buy a matched pair of Twinx-3200XLs I guess.

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Sure,

Asus A8V-NM motherboard

FSB 2100MHz

3200+ A64

512mb of Corsair 3200XL (1.2IC)

nVidia 7800GT

Chaintech AV-710 sound card

stock memory settings (boots at 2-2-2-5, memory bus 400MHz)

stock bios 1.xx

Secondary stick is 1.1 revision. Both sticks run fine alone, gaming or sisoft tests and produce the same test results within 5%.

Oblivion crashes anyway occasionally with broken quests and bugged saves, but in dual channel mode with these two sticks, it specifically fails (hard reboot) as soon as a battle starts. Doesn't occur discretely with either channel used alone. I don't think there's a problem with dual channel on this board, I used my roommates 2x512mb matched pair of OnCnZ (minus ns) P C -3 2 0 0 Gold RAM that is also rated to 2-2-2-5 and this problem does not occur.

How long would that take? Plus would'nt I just get new versions of the sticks I return?--and possibly just continue this cycle?

Wouldn't I be better off just buying a matched pair instead? Especially considering some of the RMA times I've experienced--Gainward--4 months and 5 months respectively for two different video cards, Sony ovver half a year for a external DVD-RW.

What exactly is the "Ticket#/PostID#" on the RMA sheet stand for?

• Corsair Employees
One thing I missed, Did you set the memory voltage to 2.8 Volts? If not please try that first. And if you send them in I would suggest you send both modules so the new modules match. Yes you would have been better off to get a matched set of modules.

I checked in my Bios, there is actually nowhere I can see that I can set my RAM voltage. Since this is the old BIOS that came with the motherboard, what chance does flashing it to the most updated version would give voltage editing properties?

I'm not completely clueless, I've done a fair amount of changing and overclocking over the years, but the Asus motherboard I got seems intentionally focused on not letting you overclock (no options at all), besides setting RAM timings.

If you cant set the memory voltage I do not think they will be stable, but you can try and set the timings to a more relaxed setting like Cas 2.5-3-3-7 and see if the system is stable.

Would a matched pair of Twinx1024 CMX-3200XL be able to run stable at stock settings or would I still need to find a way to set the voltage to 2.8?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived