Corsair Community

ASUS P5N32-SLI Deluxe and TWIN2X2048-6400

Wolfgang Wahl

Hello,

I allready searched comments aubout this, but did'nt find. So I hope somebody can help me.

I have an ASUS P5N32-SLI Mainboard and P4 660/3600F 3,6Ghz/800Mhz FSB with the 0308BIOS and would like to put on TWIN2X2048-6400 Rams. Do they run on 800Mhz without any overclocking, just put the voltage on 2,1V? Or do I have to overclock the system and and make manual settings?

You know, I'm not a professional and here in Switzerland, nobody can tell me, what works and what not. I just saw in the datasheet, that it was testet on the P5N32-SLI, but not with the CPU I have.

My Question:

Can I put this TWIN2X2048-6400 on to my motherboard and they will run on 800Mhz without any changes, but the voltage?

Best regards, Wolfgang Wahl

This MB would have to run the memory at 667 MHz and then over clock to the CPU to run the memory at the tested frequency!

This is impossible! When I overclock the CPU to 1066Mhz, that will put the CPU to 4,8Ghz. That's to much! Better buy a P4 EE CPU what allready has the FSB on 1066. Does this exist for 32-bit, or are they all 64bit?

Exemple the tested CPU P4 3,73Ghz EE is in the Intel datasheet 64bit. What does that mean? Runs only 64bit, or 32bit too?

Regards, Wolfgang Wahl

Yes, I looked at this report. The multiplier is 14x, so the CPU runs with 1066Mhz at 3,73Ghz. My CPU does'nt support multiplier changings. My muliplier is 18x. Because of this report I would like to buy the same CPU, or the Intel D 955 3,4Ghz / 1066FSB, my bios supports this CPU's.

Like I said, I'm absolutly no professional, here in Switzerland they only sell the parts, tell any crap and let you ****ed up with the problems. May be, my questions sound strange or stupid, but I don't know it better. I'm just looking for a solution to get running my computer fast for gaming. (FS9 and by the end of the year FSX)

Regards, Wolfgang

• Corsair Employees
My Question:

Can I put this TWIN2X2048-6400 on to my motherboard and they will run on 800 MHz without any changes, but the voltage?

I am sorry but they would require you to over clock the system to run these modules at their tested setting.

You can try and set the memory to 800 but I doubt it will be stable, I would suggest setting the memory to DDR667 and try and over clock your CPU till it starts to get errors in http://www.memtest.org I would suspect you will be able to get close.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. Overclock my system, I don't want. But like I said, I will buy the CPU P4 3,73Ghz EE, or the P D955 EE, what has the FSB allready on 1066, like in the tests. And in the test, the system has detected the RAM 800Mhz with that configuration, My Mainboard and the EE CPU. I know, it's expensive, but the best solution for me.

Overclocking a system, is for guys, who know exactily , what they do. I did'nt learn that stuff, so for me, overclocking would be more something like joke around with settings, I don't know anything about. So...better buy the right parts.

But to make shure...With the CPU as in the Test P4 3,73Ghz EE / 1066FSB, I don't need to overclock something, that's right?

Thank you very much for your help. I really would like to understand more from this stuff, but I'm "just" a bricklayer. (It's no joke!)

Regards, Wolfgang Wahl

Listen, I really don't understand nothing about this.

I just think, when I buy a CPU with 1066FSB like Intel 955/965 XE, I'm on the better side, because I don't have to change anything in my system to run the TWIN2X2048-PC6400 @ 800Mhz. Just the ASUS Bios. 0308 at time only supports the 955EE 3,4Ghz/1066FSB. But in a while there will be an update for the 965EE 3,7Ghz/1066FSB.

Regards, Wolfgang Wahl

Wolfgang, I have the very setup you speak of, with the 3.73 EE@1066. I am running the Corsair mem@ 800Mhz,W/FSB at the default of 1066 for this processor. When I first installed, BIOS stated mem running@ 733Mhz, and VERY UNSTABLE! Had to clear CMOS (see manual or asus website) via board jumper for BIOS to read mem correctly. This was all on the 0308 bios revision. After I installed the memory, I only ran into problems if I changed the "Memory Settings" in the BIOS from the default "AUTO" to manual. If I did, the system won't boot. I have the mem voltage @ 2.1volts, but I believe it also ran ok at 1.9volts. Basically, I'm saying that I am currently running the Twin2X2048-6400 in my system with a 1066 processor and am having no problems. Hope this helps you out.

Jim

• 1 month later...

Hello, I have a few questions about the setting up of this ram in the motherboard. I have not bought my processor yet so if there is a certain processor that is more flexable to over clock changes to get this ram to work I would love any suggestions although I can not afford the extream edition.

So, with the suggested processor:

1. What should I set the processor at? voltage, FSB

2. What should the Mem be set to? Timing, FSB, voltage?

3. Any other settings that I need to make to get this ram to run smooth?

Like I said I do not have my processor yet. This is my first computer build so I am just trying to get all of the info I can ahead of time so that it will go as smooth as possable.

Thanks for the help

Chris

• Corsair Employees
You can look up the tested spec for the modules you have from the link in my signature. And the MB you have will only support DDR2-667 Memory. to run faster than that you will need to be able to over clock your CPU.

• Corsair Employees
The tested settings are there for reference, you would use them to set your system, not all systems will be exactly the same. If you cannot figure it out I would suggest you call us at 1-800-205-7657 when you are in front of your system and we can try and help you solve the problem. Our hours are from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM Pacific Time Monday thru Friday excluding holidays.

Although not officially supported using an 800 FSB my system boots happily with the memory set to 800 using the 800 FSB. It's also stable running P95 overnight.

since I do OC my CPU I currently have the FSB set to 944. With the P4 550 using a 17x this gives me 4.012Ghz on air. This is as far as I want to go on air. The CPU never gets over 52C but the NB starts to pump a lot of heat and vcore is at 1.4875. Personally I do not like to go above 1.5.

Memory is set to 2.1v and timings are set to auto.

Well with this setting I have the memory running with a 7:6 divider which brings it out to 809Mhz. This too is P95 stable.

Even with this Nforce mobo I can push the memory faster but the best stability is certainly between running it at 667 or as close to 800 as possible.

Best regards,

• 1 month later...

Have similar setup: P5N32-SLI Deluxe MB, P4 3.73 EE, bios 0403, 4GB of twin2x2048-6400, PC P&C 1KW PSU, Asus EN7900GTX.

Can not get the twin2x2048-6400 to work. Get random boot errors, some no boot, fails memtest 86+. Replace mem with 2GB of Twin2X1024-6400 and it works flawlessly, passing a 96hr memtest 86+ run. Seems strange that the 512MB DDR2 800MHz sticks work fine but the 1GB DDR2 800MHz sticks don't.

Have tried settings of Corsair Labs Performance reports but no luck.

Any suggestions?:confused:

• Corsair Employees

PLease try the following settings with 2 modules installed at a time and run memtest86:

DDR Frequency: 800MHZ

DDR Voltage 2.1v

TCL: 5

TRP: 5

TRCD: 5

TRAS: 12

Bare in mind there is a difference with using 1GB and 512MB modules. It causes more load on the memory controller. You may have to lower the frequency on this motherboard if running 4 x 1GB.

Have been able to get 2 modules to work in dual mode (A1 & B1 slots) at 5-5-5-12-18-2T, but 4 modules will not work. Which freq should I reduce...FSB? DDR Freq? BTW, why are the last 2 settings (18 and 2T) never mentioned?

PLease try the following settings with 2 modules installed at a time and run memtest86:

DDR Frequency: 800MHZ

DDR Voltage 2.1v

TCL: 5

TRP: 5

TRCD: 5

TRAS: 12

Bare in mind there is a difference with using 1GB and 512MB modules. It causes more load on the memory controller. You may have to lower the frequency on this motherboard if running 4 x 1GB.

Archived