Corsair Community

TWINX1024-3200C2PT - ASUS A7N8X-E DELUXE ( Dual Channel Memory Question, Pls Help )

FattyPC

Hi all, :D:

I'm new to this forum,

Might I say on reading several posts, I have found some useful info but I have a question myself - I hope someone can shed some light on !

I have recently upgraded my DDR 333. Although I had 1.5GB of Elixir DDR 333 @ 7.3.3.2.5T..... I thought if I upgraded to a lesser amount ie. 1GB of TWINX1024-3200C2PT , that I would see a great speed increase...

Now all things said, the increase is comparible, probably down to the motherboard. I was hoping for a slightly better performance increase...

I am running the " TWINX1024-3200C2PT @ 6.3.3.2T with AMD Athlon Barton 2800 " in Dual Channel mode. I thought that upgrading from DDR 333 to DDR 400 and changing from Single Channel mode to Dual Channel Mode would see some benefits....

I am sure that this ram overall is faster within the Dual channel config... I just wonder if because I have reduced the overall amount of ram, that this may have taken a negative affect.

^^^^^^^^^^ HERES MY QUESTION ^^^^^^^^^^

1 ) Is it possible to add more DDR 400 , whilst already running in Dual Channel mode ?

2 ) Will adding more ram affect the dual Channel config on this board ?

3) If it is possible to add more memory, is it possible to add another 512MB or 1GB strip to the remaining slot on the motherboard ? ( At present the dual channel slots are of a blue'ish colour to my recollection, the remaining empty slot is black )

If the above is possible, what recomendations can anyone make ... I am under the impression I would need same config ie. 6.3.3.2T, but what Corsair ram modules would be compatible ?

Tnx in advance ...

FattyPC

• Corsair Employee
With this platform you have to run the memory in sync with your CPU if you have a 166 MHz CPU or faster or the memory performance will actually slow to that of PC-2100 memory. And if you want to add more memory, it would be best to replace what you have with Twinx2048-3200C2 for best performance.

I'm am slightly confused ...

Although on the packet it states that the this ram is CAS 2 ...

When reading around this forum, you get the destinct impression that CAS 2 is only for Intel ??? and CAS 2.5 for AMD ??? - Why not CAS 2 for AMD ???

I have a " AMD BARTON 2800 Running at 2.36GHz O'ced " on Motherboard " Asus A7N8XE-DELUXE " ... This will run @ 189 x 12.5 in Sync @ CAS 2 , 2.7 Vdimm

I know that is is not running at full DDR 400 Speeds, but we arnt far from it ...

My Question is - Whilst my system is stable at CAS 2 , is there any reason why I should be running at CAS 2.5 as mentioned on this forum - Surely this would only reduce performance....

Is CAS 2.5 only for those amd boards which wont run at CAS 2 ?

Tnx in Advance ...

FattyPC

• Corsair Employee
Cas 2.5 is suggested for socket A platforms, but that’s not to say that some MB's will not be able to run these modules at Cas 2.0. If the system is stable then you should be fine to run them at Cas 2.0. In our Lab tests we found the many MB's while running AMD socket 462 CPU's may not be stable running at Cas 2.0.

Archived