Corsair Community

3200XL "stuck" at 249 MHz - is it the RAM or mobo?

taeric

My 3200XL runs like a charm right up to 249 MHz at a nice 2-3-3-7 at 2.85 volts. Burst length is set to 8, and all of the other RAM options are set on auto. It passes numerous runs of Memtest and overall appears to be stable as can be.

However, when I try for 250 MHz, I can't get it to pass Memtest at all. Legacy USB support is disabled, and test #6 is always the culprit. I've loosened timings as far at the board will allow, which is 3-4-4-8. Based on the admirably tight timings just 1 MHz lower, I'm leaning toward it being a motherboard issue. I have not yet tried running Memtest on just one DIMM to see if that helps, which I will do for the sake of doing it (I'm not particularly interested in getting things stable with just one DIMM as I need the full 1 GB for applications I run).

Other than this little hang up and a little glitch when I first set the system up (which was resolved quickly and painlessly here :sunglasse ), this has been a very solid system. I'm trying to max out my overclock and set up RAID0 prior to Oblivion coming out in a few weeks.

Any and all help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

My 3200XL runs like a charm right up to 249 MHz at a nice 2-3-3-7 at 2.85 volts. Burst length is set to 8, and all of the other RAM options are set on auto. It passes numerous runs of Memtest and overall appears to be stable as can be.

However, when I try for 250 MHz, I can't get it to pass Memtest at all. Legacy USB support is disabled, and test #6 is always the culprit. I've loosened timings as far at the board will allow, which is 3-4-4-8. Based on the admirably tight timings just 1 MHz lower, I'm leaning toward it being a motherboard issue. I have not yet tried running Memtest on just one DIMM to see if that helps, which I will do for the sake of doing it (I'm not particularly interested in getting things stable with just one DIMM as I need the full 1 GB for applications I run).

Other than this little hang up and a little glitch when I first set the system up (which was resolved quickly and painlessly here :sunglasse ), this has been a very solid system. I'm trying to max out my overclock and set up RAID0 prior to Oblivion coming out in a few weeks.

Any and all help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Taeric,

Hello. I am about to start overclocking my system and I have 4x512 DIMMS of this memory. I was wondering, what was your first overclock values and at what point did you have to start adjusting the latencies? I am quite new to this game, so any info you could provide me with I would be grateful. :cool:

Thanks in advance

Wildman

Taeric,

Hello. I am about to start overclocking my system and I have 4x512 DIMMS of this memory. I was wondering, what was your first overclock values and at what point did you have to start adjusting the latencies? I am quite new to this game, so any info you could provide me with I would be grateful. :cool:

Thanks in advance

Wildman

Howdy. Your results will probably differ somewhat from mine both since you're working on an AMD system and you're running 4 DIMMs, which can be pretty hard on your memory controller.

Anyway, for my system, I was able to run at 2-2-2-5 through around 220 MHz. Things were stable at 2-3-3-5 through around 240-245 Mhz, and 2-3-3-7 got me to 249 MHz. I ran all of those at 2.85 volts vdimm, though you can probably push a bit less voltage if you don't run that high.

If you need some additional system overclocking resources beyond the RAM help you can find here, let me know, and I'll hook you up. Good luck and enjoy.

Howdy. Your results will probably differ somewhat from mine both since you're working on an AMD system and you're running 4 DIMMs, which can be pretty hard on your memory controller.

Anyway, for my system, I was able to run at 2-2-2-5 through around 220 MHz. Things were stable at 2-3-3-5 through around 240-245 Mhz, and 2-3-3-7 got me to 249 MHz. I ran all of those at 2.85 volts vdimm, though you can probably push a bit less voltage if you don't run that high.

If you need some additional system overclocking resources beyond the RAM help you can find here, let me know, and I'll hook you up. Good luck and enjoy.

Looks like that is your memory ceiling which is currently running at 498Mhz (249x2). That's pretty fast for Samsung TCCD man. Now that you know the memory ceiling, why don't you try to see where your CPU ceiling is at on air?

TCCDs start out as 250 Mhz rated chips, so I doubt it's the ceiling.

I would tend to agree since it runs at reasonably tight timings at 249 MHz. I've heard from folks who have gone a lot further with this product. The mobo is a fairly solid overclocker, so I find it odd that it's failing at this frequency (if that's indeed the case). I may try bumping NB voltage to try to get a bit more out of the memory controller. Any other suggestions would certainly be welcome.

I'll be hooking up a WC system in the next few days, but I'd like to check the limits on air before pushing things on the higher grade cooling.

Those are pretty low latencies for those speeds. I got nowhere near that with mine on my asrock dual sata2. However could you post some sandra bandwidth benches to go with that, I gave up 1t timings and 265 to go to 295 2t 2.5-3-3-6 ( sounds high but the 2t really kills ) and get 6800/6780 or so with a venice @ 2.65ghz.

Archived