Corsair Community

Incompatible memory?

Athlonxp2200

I bought some Corsair memory from zipzoomfly.com recently and as soon as I got it the computer started acting unreliable(randomly closing programs and locking up).

I suspect it might be the voltage because on another forum; people were saying that my model of memory requires around 2.8 to 3 volts. The thing is, the motherboard BIOS only allows it to go up to 2.8.

The model number is: VS1GB400C3

Here are the system specs.

AMD Athlon 64 3400

ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 XT

Corsair 1GB DDR400 memory

1 160GB Seagate hard drive and another 80GB Seagate

Internal DVD-RW drive and another DVD reader

Internal floppy drive

Creative Sound Blaster 128

D-Link network card

All built on an Abit nf8-v motherboard.

Any help would VERY appreciated.

That module probably doesn't need 2.8 volts, I'd stick with 2.75 and try running Memtest86+ to check for memory and subsystem issues.

Also, this memory should be used alone, not in conjunction with an older module and leaving the memory settings as "AUTO" is adviseable, though you can set the latencies to 3-4-4-8 if you wish.

PLUR

CK

That module probably doesn't need 2.8 volts, I'd stick with 2.75 and try running Memtest86+ to check for memory and subsystem issues.

I tried running Memtest86+ but it checked out ok, no doubt because I can't disable the CPU cache with my BIOS.

Also, this memory should be used alone, not in conjunction with an older module and leaving the memory settings as "AUTO" is adviseable, though you can set the latencies to 3-4-4-8 if you wish

I don't have any other memory in the system and I tried leaving the settings at auto when I first got the new memory. And for the last thing, My BIOS doesn't allow me to change the latencies.

When I run a game such as Star Trek Armada II, first the screen goes blank and all that I can see is the mouse, afterwards It completely locks up. Other times (when just simply using the computer for various tasks) it will reboot itself. None of this happened with my old 512MB DDR400 Centec stick.

My Upgrading and Repairing PCs book says something like: "when running memtest always be sure to disable the CPU cache, otherwise it will just be checking the cache and not the memory".

• Corsair Employee
I think your book is a bit out of date, but memtest will run and test the memory with or with out the cache disabled. If you are not getting errors I would suspect some other problem. Please load setup/optimized defaults in the bios and set the memory voltage to 2.7 Volts and then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org. And can you tell us the make and model of your PSU?

Archived