Corsair Community

Would be nice to have a read/write switch

Spudgun3000

I have been looking for a new memory stick for a while now, but I need one with a read/write switch on it.

My current 512MB key is now quite old (one of the first 512MB usb1.1 sticks that came out) but it has a switch to allow me to make it read only which is very handy as i repair virus infected computers and having a bootable key full of tools that can't be infected is fantastic.

But now i need a bigger key so i can boot knoppix from it. I may still buy the corsair mem sticks but i will still look out for that little switch on other makes to make it read only.

Just a little request for any future products.

I prefer the memstick to the cds as i can have a memstick in my pocket all the time, but a cd needs a case and is not so easy to look after when travelling about.

My basic toolset consists of a foldaway screwdriver to open up a pc and my memstick to boot in to a basic DOS system to clean up a drive. If I can get knoppix (or even XP using Barts PE builder which I like as well :D: ) booting from my memstick then i can just keep dropping new IDEs on to the memstick when virus updates occur and don't have to keep burning discs which would end up with a stack of old unneeded discs.

I prefer the memstick to the cds as i can have a memstick in my pocket all the time, but a cd needs a case and is not so easy to look after when travelling about.

My basic toolset consists of a foldaway screwdriver to open up a pc and my memstick to boot in to a basic DOS system to clean up a drive. If I can get knoppix (or even XP using Barts PE builder which I like as well :D: ) booting from my memstick then i can just keep dropping new IDEs on to the memstick when virus updates occur and don't have to keep burning discs which would end up with a stack of old unneeded discs.

Counterpoint:

1. Business card CDs that fit in a wallet

2. RW CDs

LOL, do you own a blank cd company. Ok yes I could have either of those media formats but I personally prefer the usb memstick to a cd. That is why i am asking a question about them on a site that deals with memory. Also a cdrw just appends files to the disc rather than overwriting them so can still run out of space which means i'd have to blank it off and start again when it is full which is not what i'm after. Sometimes the pcs i'm repairing only have a cdrom not a dvdrom or even no drive at all so a cdrom business card wouldn't hold enough data on it to be useful. Anyway ordered a 2gig corsair memstick now (without a switch though, sigh)

Archived