Corsair Community

ASUS K8V-MX and TWINX1024R-3200C2 Not working

tfpeck

I have read the section from the FAQ regarding why this modeule might not work, see output below in this post. But the KV8-MX was recommended by the Corsair memory configurator and appears to be within the ASUS MB specs for the the FSB bus frequency listed. See ASUS output below:

I've tried two new K8V-MX MB's and two new sets of TWINX1024R-3200C2. they both present the same problem, NO POST beep. No video.

I have a EuroSoft POST card in the system and it stop at op code "d4" (Can't Init 512k).

I've tried another DDR400 512Mb DIMM and the system works fine.

What am I missing about this MB/Memory combination....?

Thanks

Thad

---------------- ASUS K8V-MX ------------------------------------------------

K8 (754 Socket) UMA Best Choice

- Supports AMD Socket 754 Athlon 64/ Sempron

- VIA K8M800 + VT8237R

- Front Side Bus 1600 MT/s

- DDR400/333/266

- AMD Cool 'n' Quiet Technology

- SATA (RAID0, RAID1 & JBOD)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

---------------- Corsair FAQ about DDR400 -------------------------------

Troubleshooting Tips for DDR-400 (XMS-3200C2)

Settings for this Module:

Speed: 400MHz Latency: 2-3-3-6 Voltage: 2.75

Here are some common tips that you should try before proceeding with a full technical support case.

My system supports DDR400 memory, but when I install my Corsair DDR400 module the system will not post.

Many systems will indeed support DDR 400 memory. However, if for example your system came with a 533 FSB CPU you may be limited to DDR333 memory until you upgrade your CPU to an 800 Front Side Bus (FSB) CPU provided your system will support a faster CPU. The following guidelines may help with this: If the FSB of your CPU is 400 For Intel and 100 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports only DDR 266. If the FSB of your CPU is 533 For Intel and 133/166 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 266/333 If the FSB of your CPU is 800 MHz for Intel and 200 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 333/400

• Corsair Employee
ASUS K8V-MX and TWINX1024R-3200C2 Not working

Those modules are registered and the MB you have will not support registered memory. You will need to use un-buffered memory with that MB. Sorry, please talk to your reseller and see if they will exchange them for the same part# with out the "R" or "RE" in the part#.

• 2 months later...
I was wondering if an ASUS A7n8X Deluxe would support this memory??

Sorry, but the nForce2 chipset does not support registered memory, either.

In fact, the only modern systems which support registered memory are the Socket 940 Opteron systems and certain Intel systems using the E73## or higher series workstation/server chipsets; in fact, most of those high-end AMD/Intel workstation/server platforms require the use of registered memory.

Archived