Corsair Community

ASUS A8N-SLI Prem + TWINX1024-3200C2PT (4 sticks) gets mem err

by400fan

I'm new to this forum, so please bear with me....

I built a new system 4 months ago with:

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium mobo

Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PT (2 matched sticks of 512MB, XMS3202V5.2)

in slots A1 and B1.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ dual-core CPU

System has been running fine, using the AUTO settings in BIOS. (I don't overclock.) Boot screen shows it is running in dual-channel mode with 1024MB. Memtest86 seems to run OK (does it run forever? I killed it after 20 minutes.)

I just got into video editing and decided to add two more sticks of the same memory. Ordered same part # from NewEgg, and they sent same rev. number (XMS3202v5.2).

Installed new sticks in slots A2 and B2. System won't boot. Just get "Beeep, beep-beep" (memory error).

Spent several hours scouring the HOH forums, and tried a few things:

1. System will boot if I replace the 2 old sticks with the 2 new ones, so I'm pretty sure the new ones are OK.

2. Tried changing BIOS settings from AUTO (400 MHZ, 3-3-3-8) to MANUAL (200 MHZ 2.5-3-3-6). Again, system runs OK on two sticks but won't boot on four.

3. Tried using just three sticks. This time it will boot (with BIOS set to AUTO), but reports Single-channel at 333MHZ. This works no matter which new stick I use for the third stick in socket A2 (with B2 empty).

4. Tried setting BIOS to MANUAL with the settings from step 3 (333 MHZ, 2.5-3-3-7). Boots OK with 3 sticks but won't boot with 4 (again, Beeeep, beep-beep).

I'm about ready to bag this and RMA the new memory. I may try selling the old memory and buying TWINX2048-3200C2PT (two sticks), so I'll have 2 GB finally. From the posts I've seen, this seems to be decent memory and I shouldn't have to mess with BIOS settings, right?

Does anybody have any suggestions I can try before I send the RAM back to Newegg?

Thanks in advance. I'm impressed at the feedback I've been seeing in this forum, and hope maybe there's a nugget or two that will same me a restocking fee.

Just to make sure I'm clear on your suggestion....

The slots on this mobo are labeled A1, A2, B1, B2, where A1 and B1 are supposed to be used when just two sticks are to be installed (according to the owner's manual).

I'm guessing you mean for me to try A2 and B2 with either of the two sticks, just to see if it'll boot. Am I correct? I'm curious, what will this accomplish exactly?

Also, since I'm not too keen on pulling out and RMA'ing the mobo, would I have better luck replacing all my memory with two sticks of TWINX2048-3200C2PT? (So I can get 2GB total.) This would seem to eliminate the issue of 4 sticks running at 333 instead of 400MHZ, right? And use less power, generate less heat, etc? Any downsides to this idea?

Thanks again for your help!

Removed all TWINX1024 sticks and installed a new pair of TWINX2048-3200C2PT. Set BIOS to 400MHZ, 2.5-3-3-6. System is running fine so far (3 days, no overclocking). Memtest86 ran clean overnight too.

Just as a note of reference: With 2GB of RAM, Adobe Premiere Elements now takes about 74% CPU when rendering a video, whereas with 1GB onboard it was using 99%. That's using both cores of a dual-core AMD 4400+. Total time to render 2 hours of video dropped roughly 10% overall after the memory upgrade. As they say, "Your mileage may vary".

RMA'd newest pair of TWINX1024 sticks.

Thanks again for your help.

Archived