Corsair Community

CMX512-3200C2PT Problem

tmi11er

Before I RMA another set of memory I would like any last suggestions:

I replaced the memory last and my system went from random crashes from 15 minutes to 2 hours of up time to 2 days of up time before a crash with the last set of RAM. The only thing that has helped has been replacing the RAM. The motherboard has been replaced multiple times, so has the AMD 2800+. The Power supply has also been replaced. My last technical advice was to up the voltage from 2.6 to 2.7 which seems not to address the problem. The settings were by SPD. The only change I can find is the BIOS setting for 4 banks which was disabled by default.

The modules always passed the memtest tests, as far as I am concerned for problems like these memtest does not do anything. Unless changing my banks to 4 from disabled keeps this memory working I am going to RMA another set and I would probably be well advised to buy a different brand of memory. My big mistake was believing Corsair was the best memory in the world. Had I doubted it I would have not bought 3 new motherboards, a new power supply, not returned 3 cpus and saved many of my files that were lost in trying to reinstall the operating system thinking my problem was something else other than the memory.

It seems to me you cannot recommend anything but replacing the memory. The timings are right off the website. If I were one who gets angry I would probably buy some new memory and forget Corsair. Since I do not get angry I have been following your product reputation and it sure has been expensive and wasteful.

I do not know why I wrote this, there is probably nothing you can tell me that will fix my problem except to send the modules in, and that might not even do it. Your best advice would probably be to buy some other kind of memory.

Any comment?

Can you tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

My current memory settings are:

DRAM Timing (overrides SPD values): Manual

System Performance: Normal

SDRAM Bank cycle time (or tRAS): 6

SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3

SDRAM RAS-to-CAS Delay (tRCD): 3

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2

Command Rate: 1T

I am now running a database analysis program that usually crashes within the three or four days it takes to complete. Before this I had (SPD defaults) 8-3-3-2.5 and memory problems (SDRAM Bank Interleave was disabled). My memory is recognized at startup as DDR400 running at 333. I use a 166x12.5 cpu speed, 166MHzx2 FSB speed. No other changes. The Motherboard is a Mach Speed V881DAS using via KT880 chip set. The same MB crashed within 15 minutes during normal operation until I RMA'd the memory, now it crashes after longer periods of time and consistantly during long tasks such as the database analysis.

I should mention that I have replaced the disk drive as well. The only improvement I ever got was when I replaced the memory the first time. The level of frustration here is immense, as you might expect under such conditions. All of the other manufacturer's parts have been replaced and Corsair's replacement is the only one that has made a difference. I went through this settings excercise the last time my memory was replaced and I have been tolerating this bad performance for months now, but I require better than this. Still I will step through this with you again, and again, and again. Even if I buy other memory to fix this problem I will get some working Corsair memory since I practically have a second computer worth of equipment here and I intend to use it.

I must admit the system is working great now. My only concern, which validated my worries, are a couple of unsolicited reboots that occurred in the past. I do have an uninterruptable power supply and I cannot explain these reboots.

I must confess, the problem I thought was the memory was not the memory this time. I am sure it was the memory the first time I had it replaced but right now the system is pretty stable and has not rebooted or erred in days.

If my system never reboots by itself again I would have 100% confidence in my memory chips. As it is now it is what I would call "pretty good." I am not 100% confident in its performance but I am certainly between 90 and 100 percent.

I am not going to return this memory. I thank you for your help and thank you for not cursing me from the other side of the internet. I have been as courteous towards you.

If you would answer one question it would save me the time of searching for the answer: Does memtest test that a value in memory remains valid for a long time?

Thank You,

Todd

• Corsair Employee

Todd no worries at all that's what I am here for and I never curse. OK well maybe a little. LOL!

But dont worry not at you!

Does memtest test that a value in memory remains valid for a long time?

I am not sure I understand your question. But Memtest will run a series of math mathmaticle computations in a way to stress the Data transfers with in your system. IE: if you have a failing CPU, Chipset, or PSU as well as the memory you may get errors in memtest. And you might read thru What is memtest86+, what do I use it for?

I am sorry to tell you that I do believe I will be RMAing my memory. My computer crashed again after these few days which is often does and it is logical for me to believe it is the memory since I replaced everything else. Last time I replaced the memory I had a great improvement in my up time. I think another replacement will do the same.

I have 1 Gigabyte of memory and I have a large analysis program running. When I also ran the Visual C++ compiler my system rebooted as if the power was lost, but it is on a UPS. This seems to be the common scenario, a lot of activity causes it to go down. I am not going to spend a week running memtest as I use this computer every day. I have bought another set of memory and that will be the test.

I am sure you would want me to RMA it if it is bad. I will discover its status one way or another and apparently the expensive way is the way I will do it.

Cheers,

Todd

• Corsair Employee

That would suggest some other problem.

But you can check the modules in another system to be sure?

And you can check in the event log to see if there is a stop error recorded.

Moving to Compatibility Questions!

Too late, I RMA'd it. I have new memory that is working without flaw in the system now.

The new module you return to me PC3200 will be used with an ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe and a 3200+ Barton AMD processor. Hopefully everything will work flawlessly. This is the original motherboard I began with when I had the bad memory. It was 2 motherboards later that I RMA'd my first sticks and finally was able to keep the computer running for more than 15 minutes.

We will hope that I am not back to this forum for anything but performance beyond what product guarantees.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I now have my A7N8X-Deluxe that I bought originally and had memory problems with. This history is all in the forum and in this thread. I want to tell you what a disaster I appear to be looking at. I will not recount the disasters of the past but Corsair was the root of the problems and appears to be still.

As for my old motherboard I bought some Crucial Brand memory for 333 FSB and I have not had a problem since.

I have now a 3200+ AMD cpu and I tried to use the memory in question and it fails the memory test of the post process immediately when the it is warm. I just lowered the speed to 166MHz (external clock) and 12.5 multiplier and put in my Crucial memory. It is hot now and there are no failures. The Corsair memory fails at these clock settings and at the 200 x 11.0 setting I want to use it at. This is memory I just received back from you and is the third set of memory I have had from you. The first set crashed randomly and caused errors in downloads plus blue screens per session. The second set caused blue screens every few days. The new set will not pass post memory tests.

Some other settings are FSB Spread Spectrum .50%. DDR Reference Voltage 2.6V. Before you ask me to run any tests I remind you the computer signal for memory test failure is one continuous beep in an infinite loop. Right now my Crucial memory has been in for 10 minutes and my computer is nice and quiet which it is not with the Corsair Memory in it.

I now have the memtest working at FSB of 99MHz. I had this scenario last time, at such slow speeds the memory worked but not at 200MHz and 11.0 multiplier with Memory at 200MHz. I had some luck with 2.7 Volts for memory reference voltage but after a reboot it failed the memory test again and at 2.8V it would not boot.

It is a 400 FSB Model number AXDA3200DKV4E. The BIOS is 10.7 which is good from 10/9/2003, the next update being 10.08 which is support for sempron. My motherboard is revision 2.0 According with the Asus site BIOS updates should be done from DOS and I am not there yet. So, I am not going to risk a BIOS update without a good reason.

I changed my timings manually to the lowest latencies and it is working. I think I found the source of the problem, it was my uninterruptible power supply being unable to deliver enough power to the computer(s). What made it more difficult is the sound of the uninterruptible power supply is the same beep as the POST system and I could not tell the difference between a power supply failure and a computer failure during post, especially when the power supply failure caused a memory failure on the computer instead of a power supply failure. It is confusing enough to have one power supply in the computer and another behind it. Had I considered the uninterruptible power supply failure I might have found this solution sooner. At last my Memory works. It took me more than a year to solve the problem.

That was quite an education. Thanks for your help and indulgence.

Grateful,

Todd

Archived