Corsair Community

2xVS1GB533D2 + Asus P5WD2 Premium Does Not Work

AWPC

Please help me someone. I upgraded a new system for myself earlier this week when my 7800GTX512 back order finally arrived.

I am having major problems with getting my Corsair 2x1GB DDR2 533 PC4300Ram modules to work together @ all.

I have changed in the Bios all the settings recommended here & on the Asus website with regards to memory timings. No matter what I do these 2 modules will not work together in XP for more than a few minutes before BSODing with different error messages sometimes depending on what I am doing when it crashes. XP never ever installs with both modules no matter what the dual/single channel config is or which of the 4 mobo ram slots used. I can even use 1x slower Infineon 256MB PC3200 DDR2 module mixed with either of the 1GB sticks and XP is rock solid stable for hours in games benchmarks etc etc regardless of which mobo slots I put them in (tried all the combinations). I can even overclock with these mismatched sticks and it is still rock solid stable etc etc.

If I remove one of the 1GB sticks then XP is rock solid stable for hours in games in 3D mark etc etc. As soon as I add the other stick so I have 2x1GB it BSODs again.

I have swapped both chips around to eliminate if one is faulty & even alternated between the 4 mobo ram slots to no avail.

To eliminate other factors like a weak PSU I have disabled in the bios all external ports except for 2xUSB+1xPS2+disabled all onboard devices (audio,firewire,lan,etc etc). This is in conjunction with alternating between the different modules & mobo ram slots.

I have also booted XP with only the minimum number of drives connected (1HD only) and disconnected the other 4 HD/DVD devices+the floppy so the power draw is minimal. Same result still.

The mobo bios has been flashed to the latest version06/06. Nothing newer available. I have even resetted the CMOS several times. Makes no difference whatsoever.

As you can see I have pretty much tried everything and they just refuse to work together.

I would be very interested to hear how Corsair tested this Ram with this mobo and for how long with what bios settings etc etc as I cannot get it to work properly or even install XP.

The only potential clue I have is that in the Asus paper manual which came with the mobo it clearly states the following on page 2-14:

"This motherboard does not support memory modules made up of 128MB chips or double sided x 16 memory modules".

Asus do not mention this on their website anywhere that I could see!

You guessed it the Corsair are both 128MB chips (8x128 on each side=16 per module). If what Asus says is true then how come the mobo works perfectly with 1x1GB chip installed even when it is mixnmatched with another brand of slower ram but will not work for 2x1GB.

If anyone could shed some light or offer advice I would be very interested.

Thank You

• Corsair Employee
"This motherboard does not support memory modules made up of 128MB chips or double sided x 16 memory modules".

Asus do not mention this on their website anywhere that I could see!

You guessed it the Corsair are both 128MB chips (8x128 on each side=16 per module).

That is not what that means. And these modules should not be a problem they are based on 64M X 8 IC's that are double ranked or 128 Meg X 8 IC's that would be a single rank module. This MB will not support 128 X 16 IC's which would be a single rank module with 16 IC's which we do not make.

I would get your MB replaced based on what you have posted.

Thanks for the response & clarifying the Asus manual mistake on my part.

I have just finished doing another memtest x86 and one of the modules is definately faulty so I am getting it RMAed back to the etailer tomorrow (I'm based in London,England).

I feel a little stupid now as I did not bother using memtest x86 until the end as it would post & work for a little while with both sticks installed so did not even consider using it.

Look like one stick may be faulty.

Archived