Corsair Community

XMS3200C2 fails memtest86+ and system is unstable

Mikael

As well as giving me blue screens in xp and crashing opera and also shutting down my system.

This ram ever since I got it nearly 2 years ago hasn't worked at 200mhz but back then I had a 2500+ barton so I couldn't really say if the ram holding me back or a lousy overclock but now that I have a CPU that has more memory bandwidth then it knows what to do with it's having some problems.

As listed in my pc specs I've got a 3200+ winchester, XMS 3200C2 2.2, msi neo4-f 7800GT a 420 watt enermax noisetaker etc.

It fails (so far still running it) test 5 in memtest86+, 8 errors, at 2.5,3,3, 1T at 2.7 volts.

So do I win the prize for an RMA :biggrin: :confused:

• Corsair Employee
With the config you gave the PSU you have might not be enough. I would suggest testing the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure. Also what core is your CPU? If you have one of the newer core CPU's that might be the issue as these CPU do not seem to like to run at 1T Command Rate. I would try and set the command Rate to 2 and see if you have the same results. In addition, failures in test 5, 7 or 8 would suggest some other issue and not the memory.

With the config you gave the PSU you have might not be enough. I would suggest testing the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure. Also what core is your CPU? If you have one of the newer core CPU's that might be the issue as these CPU do not seem to like to run at 1T Command Rate. I would try and set the command Rate to 2 and see if you have the same results. In addition, failures in test 5, 7 or 8 would suggest some other issue and not the memory.

ok I'll ty that.

I ran it overnight and it failed test 7 also.

I have the older winchester core (first 90NM A64) but I tried it 2T command rate and it still fails.

Could it be a motherboard issue?

Oh my my other stick of ram (pny pc3200 cheapy) passes test 5 and 7.

As for my PSU it has 2 12V rails that are 14 amps and 15 amps respectivly and a dedicated HDD connector for videocards but I have to use an additional HDD connector since I have a pci-express card and the PSU is atx 1.3 so no pci-e power connector.

well EVGA reccomends a 450PSU /18 amps on the 12V rail and I've got 14 and one and 15 on the other :o:

But if you're saying having errors during test 5 and 7 is supposed to be something other then memory I'm wondering why another stick of of ram passes :confused:

• Corsair Employee
Then you may not have enough for you card. You can ask the card maker if the PSU you have will work to be sure. And yes that is exactly what I am saying. Errors in test 5 7 or 8 would suggest some other problem. And what is the part# of the module that works?

Well I got in contact with my PSU manufactor and they want me to buy a 500 watt PSU.. so I will.

I found the corsair pc3200 memory passes at DDR 333 speeds also in conjuction with the other 512MB stick.

The memory stick that works at 400 isn't made by you :o:

I have no idea the part number for it, they're don't have alot of information about it on their website about the memory they make.

I just know it's P*N*Y PC3200 that's it :o:

• Corsair Employee

No problem, we can try replacing the modules for you if you like but I would maybe wait till you got the new PSU to be sure.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

well I got a new PSU, well to be more correct someone got me PSU, a 500 watt cheapy (which is getting returned) but it does have more voltage on the 5V (52 amps) but the 12V is a single 20 amp rail, yet it has a 20+4 mobo connector and sata connectors but no pci-e.

So it's a different PSU, just a cheap one :laughing:

But since my other stick works fine I think the ram the's problem.

It should be noted that I got the ram originally from Fry's and I had to return the first stick I got because it showed 256MB, fry's has a really bad rep for the amount of ram sticks they get.

I'll go ahead and follow your sig.

Archived