Corsair Community

Bad 1gb value select stick

I am building a new PC and I bought the 1gb value select stick. When I boot the system, it only shows that there is 991MB of ram installed. I ran memtest and it gave the following results:

Test 6, Pass 0, 000325a227c - 805.1MB

Test 1, Pass 16, 000325a227c - 805.1MB

Also:

Test 1 - 1 error

Test 4 - 11 errors

Test 6 - 17 errors

I assume that this stick is bad and that I can get it replaced?

Thanks

• Corsair Employee
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

It's an Asus Vintage PE-1 barebones system with a P4 3.0GHz processor in it. All the options are default. I haven't changed anything in the BIOS outside of boot order. Processor is 800MHz FSB, which the mobo supports. The memory is DDR400, which the mobo also supports.

The fact that it's showing up as 992mb makes it seem like maybe one of the chips is bad?

• Corsair Employee
I have no problem replacing your module, but this system uses on board video and that’s why you don’t see the full 1.0 Gig of ram. In addition, please see if you can set the memory voltage to 2.7 Volts and disable legacy USB and then test the module again with http://www.memtest.org. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

I'll try those things and let you know. I didn't realize that the onboard video would take that memory away from the total. I'll try putting in a video card for now. That should disable it and I'll see all the memory, right?

It's just a 1gb stick, so there's only one module to have failed.

Archived