Corsair Community

Corsair XMS3200, VS512MB400 bad modules

I have recently bought 2GB of TwinX CMX1024-XMS3200v5.1 400MHz 3.3.3.8 to add on and replace on of my 2x512MB of VS512MB400 about a month ago. My computer had no problem reading the the 2.5GB of total ram when I first installed it. I recently notice that the computer was having a longer load time. I went to check in System Properties and noticed that it was only reading 1.5GB of total ram.

After that I took out all the memory modules and tested each one seperately to see which module was not working. I found which of the XMS3200 and VS512MB400 that was not working. When I have it installed, my computer would have long beeps in an endless loop. According to my motherboard manual, that means there is no memory installed. I also tested the memories in another computer with same results.

I would like to request RMA for XMS and the VS that is not working. Would I have to send the pair of XMS memory modules or just send one for RMA?

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

I am running AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton with 166 FSB on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard. All my setting in the bios is default with the exception of boot order of drives. I have not overclocked anything because I think it is risky to do. The settings for the ram and CPU have always been at the default setting.

I forgot to mention earlier that I saw it was only reading 1GB before I changed the VS512MB400 module. This allowed my computer to read 1.5GB.

Thank you for your time.

The memory voltage was set to 2.7 Volts and the memory frequency at 100% and the timings were already at Cas 2.5-3-3-7. I tried testing each module of the XMS3200 seperately. One had no errors at all with the Memtest 86+ and the other would not allow my system to boot up. I tried combining them together and it would only recognize 1GB and not 2GB.

I tried testing each module of the VS512MB400. It produced the same results as the XMS3200. One would have no errors and the other would not boot up my computer.

• Corsair Employees

I would test them in another system to be sure but I have no problem replacing them if you like.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived