Corsair Community

memory problem

hallifax

I have the exact same problem, and it appears to be common on here as the previous topic seemed to illustrate the same problem. Are you sure that this issue is apprently due to the 800 mhz vs 533 mhz fsb issue? I DO have an 800 mhz fsb, the dell technician verifed my system, hardware specs etc... I had the exact same problem as the previous thread where I experienced several beeps and then nothing, no sign of life. I tried 2 sticks, 1 stick, different slots, made sure the ram was in right side up, everything imaginable. There seems to be a compatability issue with the ram and these systems. I too am frustrated as I relied on corsairs "system select" and it at least to me appears to be incompatable and now have to pay the shipping costs which really shoudn't be my responsability since I bought it under the direction of corsair's claim that it is compatable. Even if their is a discrepency with the bus speed it still isn't acceptable that the site claims compatability with my system while eve if I had a 533 mhz bus speed which I don't there's no mention that I should make sure I verify the bus speed before going ahead and making a purchase. It would be nice if the corsair site at least addressed this to make sure customers don't spend money that really is not their responsibilty to spend if they have to pay to ship these chips back to dealers as their site lead them to believe there was a general compatability with their system and there's no mention that there are spcific qualifications for different chips.

Ok, it seems that I am not the only one who got into it. I have a DELL 4600 and the OEM memory modules are PC2700s. I bought a Corsair 512MB module (CMSS512MB-400) a week ago. The system beeps and does nothing even if this module is the only one that is installed. I called Corsair Tech support and got a RMA. The replacement came today, but the problem remains the same. I will have to call them again.

I am not a techinical expert in memory modules, but since there are a few similar cases, I think Corsair should temporarily stop claiming that this particular memory module (or the product series) is compatible with Dell computers until a thorough investigation is done and, as Hallifax stated in his or her email, Corsair should at least refund customers for shpping costs because we are not responsible for these costs, especially for newly-bought products.

I do not know if this forum is a place to give feedbacks on non-technical issues. If it is not, Ram Guy please advise the correct contact to send my message to.

• 2 months later...

Could someone please clarify this? I ran the memory configurator on Corsair's website and it said PC 3200 memory was compatible with the Dell 4600. No distinction was made between the 800/533 mhz fsb on the website. Upon receipt of the item (2x512 DDR 400), I installed and was also rewarded with a series of beeps. The fsb on this system is 533mhz. Now, you say this is Dell's fault? What should I do now?

Thanks.

Archived